Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I extend my Nema 14-50 from a different location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been using blue wirenuts on #6 AWG wire for 35 years. Not so much now, but my employees still do. If done right, they will work for ever.

I'm not electrician, but have done work on my own home. Having to cut back old Romex to twist new caps on is a hassle and sometimes not possible due to length and/or space constraints within existing junction boxes.

I'm not saying wire nuts are an invalid solution, just that for the purposes of my own home and the little bit of electrical work I do, the tiny increase in price of using WAGO connectors pales in comparison to the significant increase in convenience that they provide me. I have several boxes of wire nuts, but I ordered an assorted case of WAGOs and it's likely enough to last a lifetime... I just can't see myself ever wanting to use wire nuts again.

I couldn't find any for sale... I'm guessing not. Once again, not an electrician... but I wouldn't feel comfortable splicing #6 using anything that can't be torqued down... so split bolts, or anything like a bus bar.
Why didn't anyone recommend inline splicers like these?
commercial-electric-accessories-g61104-e1_145.jpg

Commercial Electric 6 AWG to 4/0 AWG Dual Rated Splicer G61104 - The Home Depot
Heres's some smaller sizes, that is probably a better fit (no need for something too large)
southwire-wire-connectors-wire-terminals-65179540-64_145.jpg

Southwire #14 STR - #1/0 STR Dual Rated Splicer (2-Pack) 65179540 - The Home Depot
southwire-wire-connectors-wire-terminals-65180740-64_145.jpg

Southwire #14 STR - #2 STR Dual Rated Splicer (2-Pack) 65180740 - The Home Depot

They are readily available and less expensive than Polaris connectors, does not create the huge ball that the split bolts do, and much more secure than wire nuts. Just wrap multiple layers of electrical tape around the connection. I see these in my panel with electrical tape wrapped around them (appears to be what they used when they reconfigured the wire for solar install). They may have used self fusing mastic tape too like for the split bolts.

Maybe OP @blodg8 can consider?

Last edited:
Reactions: father_of_6
Why didn't anyone recommend inline splicers like these?
commercial-electric-accessories-g61104-e1_145.jpg

Commercial Electric 6 AWG to 4/0 AWG Dual Rated Splicer G61104 - The Home Depot
Heres's some smaller sizes, that is probably a better fit (no need for something too large)
southwire-wire-connectors-wire-terminals-65179540-64_145.jpg

Southwire #14 STR - #1/0 STR Dual Rated Splicer (2-Pack) 65179540 - The Home Depot
southwire-wire-connectors-wire-terminals-65180740-64_145.jpg

Southwire #14 STR - #2 STR Dual Rated Splicer (2-Pack) 65180740 - The Home Depot

They are readily available and less expensive than Polaris connectors, does not create the huge ball that the split bolts do, and much more secure than wire nuts. Just wrap multiple layers of electrical tape around the connection. I see these in my panel with electrical tape wrapped around them (appears to be what they used when they reconfigured the wire). They may have used self fusing mastic tape too like for the split bolts.

Maybe OP @blodg8 can consider?
Those would work, but personally I’d just skip a dinner out and get the Polaris connectors.

Still not exactly clear what the OP has installed now and what they are trying to do to provide best advice.

I'm not electrician, but have done work on my own home. Having to cut back old Romex to twist new caps on is a hassle and sometimes not possible due to length and/or space constraints within existing junction boxes.

I'm not saying wire nuts are an invalid solution, just that for the purposes of my own home and the little bit of electrical work I do, the tiny increase in price of using WAGO connectors pales in comparison to the significant increase in convenience that they provide me. I have several boxes of wire nuts, but I ordered an assorted case of WAGOs and it's likely enough to last a lifetime... I just can't see myself ever wanting to use wire nuts again.
Splitbolt taps are old school. I haven't used them in decades. If you're using it on your home use a Mutiltap terminal. It's cleaner, you only need two, and you can undo them and resuse them in 1 minute any time. BTW Local electric supply should have them cheaper

Attachments

• polaris.png
    polaris.png
    239.8 KB · Views: 82