Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 Installation in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe if you read the rebate program carefully, it has to be an eligible charging device that's in the list. I don't think a standard socket is.

You'd certainly have to have purchased an EVSE (e.g. the HPWC or other device listed on the MTO charger list). That's the entry price for applying for the rebate.

However, you can *absolutely* have the feeder circuit terminate in a 240V receptacle like a 14-50 or 6-50. That's just a regular part of the electrical code. The EVSE just needs to have a plug attached to it instead of being hardwired. The rebate doesn't change the CEC.

I had this done in our garage when we got our first EV four years ago. Works like a charm and the huge benefit of the receptacle is that you never have to have another ESA inspection if you change the EVSE. Just plug the new one in like you would a new stove.

For those that might doubt this approach, we had four (4) versions of a prototype AddEnergie unit on the same circuit. The first three were replaced due to a design flaw. All plug'n play. Huge kudo's to AddEnergie for their professionalism and customer support.

Reactions: rdturner0
You'd certainly have to have purchased an EVSE (e.g. the HPWC or other device listed on the MTO charger list). That's the entry price for applying for the rebate.

However, you can *absolutely* have the feeder circuit terminate in a 240V receptacle like a 14-50 or 6-50. That's just a regular part of the electrical code. The EVSE just needs to have a plug attached to it instead of being hardwired. The rebate doesn't change the CEC.

I read somewhere that attaching an NEMA 14-50 Plug to the feed line for the HPWC wouldn't pass ESA inspection? Please advise.

In my case there was already 200 amps buried to the meter with only 100 to my panel. 11 year old house 100km outside the GTA. Got some quotes. Up to $1500 differences for the same work. Went with a large local contractor. 3 part pricing with the total only if I did all 3.

- Upgrade panel from 100 amp to 200 amp.
- 25 m run from basement to garage Teck 6/3 armoured cable, 40 amp breaker into a 14-50.
- Return later install Tesla WC and 60 amp breaker.
All permits and inspections included.
$2400 plus tax.

An uncomplicated stand alone 100 to 200 amp service/panel upgrade should be no more than $1500. Higher in major centres because they can.

Can you share the contractor details?

I read somewhere that attaching an NEMA 14-50 Plug to the feed line for the HPWC wouldn't pass ESA inspection? Please advise.

We have a 6-50 socket on a 40A circuit and both the J1772 type EVSE chargers we have will plug into it. This was installed by Toronto Hydro electricians and has been checked by ESA inspection.

The HPWC documentation has extensive info on how to connect it to various feeder circuits. It appears you can configure it to work with that setup, among others.

14-50 has ground, live 1, live 2 and neutral pins. 6-50 socket doesn't have the neutral. I don't believe any of the L2 chargers out there actually use the neutral line so you only require a 6-50 socket, even for the HPWC.

Your electrician should be able to provide code compliant installation and will be able to properly interpret the documentation to ensure compliance with CEC.

If you are in any way unsure about handling 240V circuits, get a professional to do it. No amount of money is worth your life.

Wow.. these numbers are expensive! My DIY cost me $250 in materials from Home Depot, 8 hours of my time and $90 for the ESA permit. This allows me to use my existing 100 Amp service with max 32 Amp for the car in my power consumption situation. To be fair, I should also add 0.5 man week of planning time over previous 3 months including reading Ontario electrical code and reading lots of blogs and watching you tube videos to ensure I get it right.
I'm going to DIY at my son in laws place in Orleans.

They have a 100 amp service in the basement.

I plan a (41 foot run) to the interior of the attached garage, with 8 guage wire.

I plan a 30 amp cb with a 14-30 (dryer oulet) as I'm uncertain about the legality of using a 14-50 outlet with only 30 amp cb support.

Since CB panel is not in the same location (room) as the intended dryer outlet, I'm contemplating a switch for that new outlet, located a few feet from it......I can't seem to get a straight answer if I need the cutoff switch or if it is not required.

Any thoughts you can pass along are most welcome, thanks.

I'm going to DIY at my son in laws place in Orleans.

They have a 100 amp service in the basement.

I plan a (41 foot run) to the interior of the attached garage, with 8 guage wire.

I plan a 30 amp cb with a 14-30 (dryer oulet) as I'm uncertain about the legality of using a 14-50 outlet with only 30 amp cb support.

Since CB panel is not in the same location (room) as the intended dryer outlet, I'm contemplating a switch for that new outlet, located a few feet from it......I can't seem to get a straight answer if I need the cutoff switch or if it is not required.

Any thoughts you can pass along are most welcome, thanks.

Hi Mike, My electrician mentioned that anything above a 50 amp breaker in the garage would require a disconnect. My take was a 14-50 stove plug on a 40 amp breaker or a 14-30 dryer plug on a 30 amp breaker did not require anything downline of the originating panel even in the garage.

Hi Mike, My electrician mentioned that anything above a 50 amp breaker in the garage would require a disconnect. My take was a 14-50 stove plug on a 40 amp breaker or a 14-30 dryer plug on a 30 amp breaker did not require anything downline of the originating panel even in the garage.
Sandy,

Awesome. Thanks.

I just did the load calculation using Canadian Residential Electrical Service Size Calculator with my intended 14-30 plug (running 24 amps continuous for an EV) and the total demand numbers come out at 93.6 amps, so 100 amp service should cover things.

Reactions: 03DSG
we went with Home - EZSMART Corporation

We had NEMA 14-50 with 32 Amp installed on a 40 amp breaker using awg 8 wire. Our panel is 100 Amp

ESA came few days later and certified as well.

Very professional guys and cheaper compared to other guys !!!

They are installing these plugs for tesla like 3-4 times a week !!!
Thanks for the info.

Well then, instead of the dryer outlet, I'll stick with my plan but use the 14-50 outlet.

I told my son in law to pull an ESA certificate and then just ask the question to confirm the okay with the 14-50 being fed by 30 amps....I know when I pulled my ESA certificate for my install last year, the inspector was more than happy to answer these type of "unique to this job" questions.

I’m sure it’s already been noted but if one uses a 14-50 outlet with the 14-50 adapter from Tesla the adapter and car senses it and will try and draw 32 amps. I had originally installed the 14-50 plug on a 30 amp circuit and manually adjusted the max charging amps in my model 3. After a month or so, I ended up buying a new adapter (14-30) from tesla and had the outlet changed to 14-30. With a second Tesla expected in the next year I didn’t want to worry about one of the other drivers not having manually set the max amperage in the cars.

we went with Home - EZSMART Corporation

We had NEMA 14-50 with 32 Amp installed on a 40 amp breaker using awg 8 wire. Our panel is 100 Amp

ESA came few days later and certified as well.

Very professional guys and cheaper compared to other guys !!!

They are installing these plugs for tesla like 3-4 times a week !!!

May I ask a few follow up questions regarding your specific install?

One: is your panel in the same room as your outlet (I. E. both are in the garage) or is your panel in another location?

Two: if your panel IS in another location from the outlet, is there any seperate cutoff switch added to the circuit?

Three: How far up the wall is your 14-15 outlet?

Thanks!

I’m sure it’s already been noted but if one uses a 14-50 outlet with the 14-50 adapter from Tesla the adapter and car senses it and will try and draw 32 amps. I had originally installed the 14-50 plug on a 30 amp circuit and manually adjusted the max charging amps in my model 3. After a month or so, I ended up buying a new adapter (14-30) from tesla and had the outlet changed to 14-30. With a second Tesla expected in the next year I didn’t want to worry about one of the other drivers not having manually set the max amperage in the cars.
Okay, that's another option for me. Thanks for the tip.