Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 not working with my mobile charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I am having issues with my mobile charger. It works good with the 120v but when I connect to a 14-50 it drops the charge and there are 5 red lights blinken. Its says reduce charge. I had an electrician make sure the power was correct and we are at 239v so that seems to be well within range. The minute I plug in the mobile charging unit, the red light starts blinken. That is before it even gets plugged into the car. We tried to mobile charging units. Anyone have any suggestions?

Are you sure the 14-50 adapter is plugged all the way into the UMC, and can you try plugging into a known-good 14-50? (not that I don't trust a professional electrician, of course)

The 'reduce charge' might well be a sign of a defective 14-50 adapter, if the temperature sensor in it is broken.

I ordered a new a new 14-50 adapter to see if that is the problem. I wish I had a friend in my area that has a 14-50 so I can plug it in and see if I get the same error. I did check the temperature on the adapter and its at 70 degrees. I do not know the AMPS. When I figure this out I will post what it was.
Thank you.

Check a local RV park. They may have an outlet you can try.

EDIT: or plugshare

Try this. Get in your car and set the desired charge level below the current SOC, make sure the charge limit set to 32a, now plug into the 14-50. Get back in the car and set the desired charge level above the current SOC and carefully watch the voltage and see what it does.