Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA "15-40"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Patrick W

Mar 17, 2015
SLC, UT
I've been using a NEMA 14-50 per Tesla recommendation at home since I bought my first S 3 years ago. Always seems to work fine.

But I just saw a YouTube video with a guy constantly referring to a NEMA "15-40". But all the images of the outlet in the video sure look like 14-50.

I checked a saw that 15-40 is a real thing. But all Tesla documents I can find refer only to 14-50.

Anyone here tried a 15-40?

Or does the guy in the video just have his numbers confused? :)

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and Rocky_H
Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Link?

I glanced over at least a half dozen of the PDF charts (easier to read) but here's an html one:
NEMA Plug Types - NEMA Straight Blade Reference Chart | Stay Online

No sign of a 15-40 at any of the places I looked.

There following 15s are shown everywhere I looked:
  • 15-15
  • 15-20
  • 15-30
  • 15-50
  • 15-60

Well this is weird. Now I can't find it either. Maybe like the guy in the video I got my numbers confused.

BTW, here's the video. Notice that someone attempts to correct him in one of the comments.

This is an infamous hole in the array of receptacle standards. There is no 40 Amp plug. Appliances on 40 Amp circuits are allowed to use a NEMA 14-50 receptacle, which causes some issues when Tesla's try to plug into the outlet, and the mobile connector assumes it is a 50 Amp circuit so draws 40 A.

While I agree the video probably just got the terms mixed up, there actually is a NEMA 15 series — it’s a 3-phase 250-volt designation:

NEMA connector - Wikipedia

NEMA 15
NEMA 15 connectors are similar in size and appearance to the 14-series, however they are meant for use with three-phase power up to 250 V, with no neutral conductor (hot-hot-hot-ground).

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Well this is weird. Now I can't find it either. Maybe like the guy in the video I got my numbers confused.

BTW, here's the video. Notice that someone attempts to correct him in one of the comments.

Yes, Chris at Crosstalk Solutions got his NEMA numbers flubbed-up in the video. The title is correct using NEMA 14-50, but narration often incorrectly refers to 15-40. The second video comment quickly exposes the mistake. But lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater because this video is the best comparison of a wall connector and NEMA 14-50 outlet. All other data is spot on and valuable to Tesla owners.

My NEMA 14-50 has performed excellent for 2 years, but notice it is getting warmer with age due to road trip UMC unplugging about a dozen times. To avoid a melt down, I'll replace the cheap $6 receptacle. While the wall connector is very slick, my 14-50 provides 29 mph charging and have never needed faster overnight charging.

Reactions: GSP
Anyone else have supercharger speed data radically different from Chris? I've only used 2 SuperChargers (one in CT, one in NY) so far and got ~150 miles of charge in 15-20 minutes (showing 500-600 mph) with my Model 3 Dual Motor. In one case all plugs were occupied (but cars may have been fully charged or in slowing phase?) and I saw ~ 500 mph, while in the other case I was the only car there and saw 600 mph. In each case I stopped charging 75-80% full.