Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nervous Traffic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
Why is it that when I'm sitting at a light, the stationary cars around me in the blindspot warning screen, jump all over the place? Sometimes they dance and spin like they're anxious to get to a bathroom. Surely, the software does not have to redraw these images in real time if we're not moving.

I do like (and depend on) the blindspot view (BSV). It makes driving easier. I would like to see the car behind me more quickly. I can see someone following close at 70 mph, but not have it show up in the BSV screen.

With the early AP2 software, we used to see dancing lane lines - which eventually smoothed out as the AP software improved detection of the lane lines.

We're seeing something similar with surrounding vehicles.

Tesla could fix this by applying more averaging to the display of those vehicles, which would eliminate most (if not all) of the dancing.

But the underlying data would still be having problems.

The better solution is for Tesla to continue working on the surrounding vehicle detection software - and when that software does a better job in detecting the location and orientation of the surrounding vehicles, it will be reflected on the dashboard.

For now, the dancing vehicles are a great reminder that this is still "beta" (or "alpha") state software - and that drivers should be monitoring the software and take control at any time.

Today, I was alarmed when a vehicle suddenly appeared and disappeared on my 6. Checking my rear-view mirror, there was indeed a box van hovering on my bumper. I would LOVE to have more long-distance notice of trailing cars.