Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nest Thermostat connection??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

haroldo

Apr 20, 2021
NJ
Years ago I bought a device that plugged into my other car's OBD port that worked with an app called Automatic. The app would talk to my Nest Thermostat, so it would know when I was getting close to the house, and the thermostat would adjust the temperature. Automatic has since folded, but I was wondering if Tesla could talk to my Nest and perform a similar function. I'm too cheap to pay for Homelink which might do this (not sure). Short of buying Homelink, is there any way the car could talk to my home thermostat (If This Then That???).
Thanks!

Last edited:
Have a look at Tasker on your cell phone. You can define boatloads of rules, and there are extensions to control a bunch of stuff. I can envision a rule that uses your phone's GPS position and calculates a distance from your home, or rules based on when you leave your office etc... I don't know if what you want to do is possible but that's what I would look at. If I'm correct, the solution has nothing to do with the car itself.
Heck, if you just want your thermostat to turn up when you reach home, using the Tasker rule based on connecting to your home wifi would be enough...

Reactions: haroldo