Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nevada registration MSRP issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you that will be registering their Tesla‘s in Nevada. The Nevada DMV does not have the correct MSRP because of the price drop Tesla did at the first of the year. In my case when I registered my new Model Y I provided them with the documents that Tesla sent me showing the MSRP for my car was $53,130.00. They then checked my VIN in their system and were prepared to charge me taxes on $65,990.00. I told that i needed to talk to a supervisor because their system is not correct because of the price reduction Tesla did. Ultimately they did get a supervisor involved and ended up calling the Tesla dealership where I bought the car and confirmed the correct MSRP for my car. They then made the manual adjustment for the registration on my car. This ended up saving me about $180 in taxes. Hope this helps.

For those of you that will be registering their Tesla‘s in Nevada. The Nevada DMV does not have the correct MSRP because of the price drop Tesla did at the first of the year. In my case when I registered my new Model Y I provided them with the documents that Tesla sent me showing the MSRP for my car was $53,130.00. They then checked my VIN in their system and were prepared to charge me taxes on $65,990.00. I told that i needed to talk to a supervisor because their system is not correct because of the price reduction Tesla did. Ultimately they did get a supervisor involved and ended up calling the Tesla dealership where I bought the car and confirmed the correct MSRP for my car. They then made the manual adjustment for the registration on my car. This ended up saving me about $180 in taxes. Hope this helps.
I’ll have to check. Are you in northern or southern Nevada? I’m doing a trade in and expect to pick up in a couple of days, and there is a price and tax based on that. So maybe it’s not the same situation.

I’m not sure in understand your question. I’m in Northern Nevada. In my situation I also had a trade in, but I’m talking about the Basic Government Taxes that are charged when you register your car at the DMV. This tax is based on the value of your car. If you go to the DMV website (dmv.nv.gov)you can actually run your VIN to get the registration fee estimate. In my case, as I stated above, my VIN showed the MSRP at $65,990.

The DMV had the MSRP $29,000 too high. They said they only accept information from the VINA database run by company called R.L. Polk. Which is apparently owned by someone else. The Tesla DMV team is apparently aware and working on this.

i contacted this company and they said they had the correct MSRP (they did) but the DMV was clearly using 1 year old data.

But e-mail
[email protected]

and let them know your issue. Explain to them that you need them to contact the Nevada DMV on your behalf and get them to update their database.

So after 2 months of working on this, I was finally able to get someplace. Tesla says the DMV is telling them to include FSD price as part of MSRP (it really shouldn't and I have documentation from the database company saying correct MSRP is $74,990 on long range Model S) but at least now the DMV is accepting the new price of $88,000 down from $104,000. So something. Tesla is sending a letter to DMV for me to lower the registration fee to new MSRP.

But I never would have ordered FSD with car had I known.