Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 100D MX owner of 2 weeks. 3 Service center visits already?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its not about making excuses, Tesla is a new company. They don't have experience yet, and a lot of people are betting on them failing. I have owned GM's from the 90's and I will never own a GM product again. Constant problem after problem.

Yes Tesla does need to get their act together and they will. They have no choice. There will be a lot of EV's coming into the market soon. At least I hope they will. I may be wrong but I feel that if Tesla did fail EV program at other automakers would disappear.

Interesting experience on your part. All my vehicles have been about 90% GM, and they've been pretty much without any issues. I want to support an American company, that's why I have a Model 3 reservation. But Tesla has not been what I, and I assume most people, expected regarding quality and workmanship. So i got a Bolt, still keeping the M3 reservation. That Bolt has been great, no issues, everything just, works.

Interesting experience on your part. All my vehicles have been about 90% GM, and they've been pretty much without any issues. I want to support an American company, that's why I have a Model 3 reservation. But Tesla has not been what I, and I assume most people, expected regarding quality and workmanship. So i got a Bolt, still keeping the M3 reservation. That Bolt has been great, no issues, everything just, works.

I have been buying new cars since 1974 when my wife and I traded my dodge wagon in on a new beetle. We had only been married a few months at the time. I had lived through my enlistment into the army when most americans would rather run than serve. During my tour I was told one day to grab my stuff and get into the chopper. The new Regimental Chaplain grabbed me to put his team back in shape. His jeep did not run, and only had three of five tires/wheels. I was told it would take $950 to replace it and there was neither time or money. So, I got to work.

While our new VW bug cost $3,000 it was during a time when the auto industry management/ownership publicly bad mouthed the workers with stories like a coke bottle being found in the door frame. As a result, we have almost never purchased an american made car since. We bought a new Saturn once, and that was it. We either bought Volvo or Toyota ~ tried the new version Beetle, but that was a joke too. The cheap plugs and wiring on our Saturn was a management issue, not the workers on the assembly line.

Oh, and my brand new american made rocket launchers (MLRS), one million a copy (9 each) in 1983; well one came with an unfinished lunch and it took me/Europe Command seven months to figure out how to make them last more than a week before calling them dead in the water. I dreamed up a plan to run the crew and launcher through a series of tasks each week during their scheduled maintenance. The problem was our computers kept failing and thus required a new black box. Sure enough, we got back to 100% (from zero) operational ready by running the computer as much as possible. You may remember that period of time where it was highly recommended that you leave your PC on 24/7. Maybe that was my fault? It took years as a computer science teacher at a local community college to brake students of that bad habit:-( I did I mention we had the first operation "intranet" in Europe at the time? Oh, and I had the first GPS; before most readers knew it existed ~ it fit in the back seat area of a jeep.

Bottom line here, I conned my wife into buying a Model X. It took until seven or eight o'clock the night of the first Model 3 reservations to con her into allowing me to put down $1,000. Being a good spiritual guy, I robbed Peter to pay Paul in order to convince her we could buy the Model X a year later ~ trust me, I moved money from every direction possible without sinking the ship. That included obtaining a refund on the Model 3:-(

Tesla bent over backwards to deliver Xena on the 31st of March 2017 ~ all about the numbers:) I would be a lier if I said there were no problems, but everything was resolved to the point of going the extra mile. Even though I am not filthy rich, I have felt like it when it comes to treatment of customers and service. When I enlisted in the army back in 1969, I was not allowed to go into the NCO or officer clubs because I was a third class citizen ~ you know like Privat Jeep. Even the USO females were off limits and they could enter the officers club. When I tried to get a paint issue resolved with that new Beetle mentioned above, the German rep was extremely condescending. My engine blew on our second Volvo at 50K miles; a first off the line of the 960s (1991 I think). We were very well treated and cared for, but nowhere in comparison to Tesla ~ bar none. We had a total of three Volvos before I called it quits. Xena was broken into, smash-n-grab (back window), Tesla towed us from an hour away (no charge), gave us a loaner (no charge) replaced the window and had us on our way out of California within 48 hours. I should have been charged for the towing and the loaner.

USAA, our insurance keeps a history of all our insured cars. We switched to USAA once I was commissioned as it was highly recommended, if you get my drift. Bottom line, it makes it easy to count up that over the years we have bought just over twenty new cars.

There is nothing in america that shines like Tesla, and SpaceX. Now if I could get things to work my way again for a solar roof! I have to replace the existing roof within the next year or two at a maximum. This time I may rip Paul off to pay Peter:)

Donovan, using the word "most people" as you did above is highly inaccurate:-( I will never buy from another auto manufacturer especially american, other than Tesla ~ period. I have been very vocal about avoiding american made cars since I was old enough and had enough money to purchase new cars.

Interesting experience on YOUR part.

Each of the four GM vehicles I’ve owned were dogs. Leaking V8 Chevy Caprice wagon with less giddy up than any other 4-cyl and 6-cyl car I’ve owned. Cadillac was the worst. Major major engine problems. So my GM experience proves all GM cars are crap. Right?

When you say “I assume most people”, you base that statement on what statistical data? Your reading of posts on this forum? Bah! Took delivery of my new Model X last month. I will not say it’s better built than the Toyota Avalon it replaced. But it has no issues and is uniquely satisfying to own and operate.

Enjoy your Bolt! I’m sure it’s awesome! If you ever get a Tesla, come back and tell us how it disappoints you.