Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 100D MX owner of 2 weeks. 3 Service center visits already?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or deal with cold water being dumped on my 1.5yr old when I open the rear doors (which happened again this morning. Not fun).

On the water pouring issue, I've noted a couple of things after reading the user manual and experimenting a bit myself. If you open the boot/trunk at the same time as the rear doors in heavy rain then you do inevitably cause flooding into the rear passenger space. If you fully open just the rear doors then you get a small, but still significant, dribble of water into the centre middle row seat. But if you open the rear doors to the partial open position in heavy rain, you get little or no water inside the car. So that's what I do now if its raining and I haven't had any further issues since. On the plus side the FWDs act as quite effective umbrellas when getting in or out of the car and you don't get rain spots all over the inside of the doors like you do with normal doors. I was worried about the FWDs before we bought the X, but quite liking them after a couple of months usage. Makes entry/exit for the kids much easier and no more bending down to fasten them in.

I use flat EQ also, no dolby and I agree its the best automotive audio i've come across, especially from the front seats. Until my usb stick died I was playing from flac files with embedded cover art. kudos to tesla for supporting lossless audio codecs. I should try it again with new update to see if anything is improved.

Glad I'm not alone in that view! One thing I've noticed recently is how much better DAB radio sounds compared to what I remember from my demo drives. I rarely use DAB anyway, but it definitely sounded pretty bad on both demo cars I drove (very compressed thin sound and I feared the worst at the time before trying other sources) but now on my car it seems pretty good. Not as good as Spotify or lossless, but certainly much better than I recall. Not sure if that's the result of some update or a problem with the demo cars I previously had (they both had premium audio installed BTW).

But anyway, I have no problem with audio quality in the X (premium audio at least as I haven't heard the standard version) and it's actually one of the stand-out features of the car IMO. My wife and kids agree too, they treat it like a mobile disco!

Ive had my fair share of issues with new cars especially when I bought a 2003 350Z (first year production). That car had over 25 warranty repairs within the first few months that even service reps pulled up my record and commented "this is a new car"?. The expectation is quite different when you shell out $130K vs $40K. Oddly enough I didn't feel as annoyed with my Z than the Tesla but my main lesson learned was never again would I buy a first year production car. I guess its because the Z was still drivable despite the issues and I didn't have the A/C fail within a week. Or deal with cold water being dumped on my 1.5yr old when I open the rear doors (which happened again this morning. Not fun).

Its great you got a new S loaner. I honestly expect to be given a ICE loaner based on my discussions with the local SC. I wonder how happy you'll be when your brand new Tesla goes into service for weeks and you get stuck with a mediocre ICE loaner for your multiple long weekend trips and still pay the monthly car payments.

The people who go online and post issues with the MX helps put the quality of Tesla into perspective and not rosy picture painted by sales reps or Tesla fanboys.

I've never gone online and complained about a problem with a consumer product, ever.

There are those that complain about everything because, well, that's what they do, and there are those of us that don't act like the sky is falling every time something doesn't go perfectly in life.

This is the reason, imo, people seem to have vastly different experiences with their Tesla, it's the individual not the company/vehicle that is different.

Would I be excited to drive a cheap ice while my X is in for service? Nope. Will you see me here whining about it? Nope, I have better things to do with my life than let insignificant things make me unhappy.

• Disagree
Reactions: bell2041
you ordered on Jan 31 and got delivery at the end of March?? Wow thats fast. I ordered a few weeks later in Feb and got a June delivery

I ordered my MX 100D on January 31st and took delivery on March 28th 2018.

I've had a number of software issues which I chalk up to the new Intel MCU. I fully expect Tesla to sort this out in the near term.

The only "mechanical" issue I have is an annoying squeak that reminds me of those old styrofoam coolers from the 1960's. Sounds like it's coming from the passenger side FWD. Haven't asked Service about it yet.

*update*

Took the MX into service today. Looks like they're keeping the car for ~2wks to address the issues I highlighted.

- Driver seat crease ---> Replacing entire driver seat. Lead time for new seat 6wks +

- FWD water ingress ---> The doors failed water seal test even when closed. So replacing all seals, etc...

- Low air flow on passenger side ---> Suspected misaligned air duct or duct track inside dash. Will take apart to check. Fix TBD

- Non-functioning Mid row tilt motor ---> Replacing entire seat due to faulty motor

- Mis aligned front bumper to side fender ---> Sending car to body shop to take apart for fix. This alone takes 1wk+

- Center armrest carbon fiber trim cosmetic defect ---> Replacing the carbon fiber trim piece

- Non functional AC (cool or heater) ---> Found AC coolant leak under the car.

- Limited battery cooling ---> Linked to same AC issue

- Turn signal stalk loose plastic ---> Loose plastic piece where you activate manual wipers. Replacing entire stalk piece

- Window squealing rolling up/down ---> Lubing the seals as temporary fix

- Various freeze / SW issues ---> Nothing to be done. Recommend to delete past navigation entries and clear trip summaries from time to time

All in all looks like the new MX has a lot of work ahead. Hopefully it'll take 2 weeks and not much longer until I get the car back. Fortunately I picked up the last rental they had available today. Infiniti JX70 ICE mid size SUV... Guess I'm not as lucky as other owners who had "brand new Model S" for long weekend trips.

*update*

Fortunately I picked up the last rental they had available today. Infiniti JX70 ICE mid size SUV... Guess I'm not as lucky as other owners who had "brand new Model S" for long weekend trips.

Hope these all get resolved for you soon. Not sure about your SC but ours covers gas when provided an ICE rental. We keep receipts and are re-imbirsed upon return. So those long distance trips are not so bad

*update*

Took the MX into service today. Looks like they're keeping the car for ~2wks to address the issues I highlighted.

- Driver seat crease ---> Replacing entire driver seat. Lead time for new seat 6wks +

- FWD water ingress ---> The doors failed water seal test even when closed. So replacing all seals, etc...

- Low air flow on passenger side ---> Suspected misaligned air duct or duct track inside dash. Will take apart to check. Fix TBD

- Non-functioning Mid row tilt motor ---> Replacing entire seat due to faulty motor

- Mis aligned front bumper to side fender ---> Sending car to body shop to take apart for fix. This alone takes 1wk+

- Center armrest carbon fiber trim cosmetic defect ---> Replacing the carbon fiber trim piece

- Non functional AC (cool or heater) ---> Found AC coolant leak under the car.

- Limited battery cooling ---> Linked to same AC issue

- Turn signal stalk loose plastic ---> Loose plastic piece where you activate manual wipers. Replacing entire stalk piece

- Window squealing rolling up/down ---> Lubing the seals as temporary fix

- Various freeze / SW issues ---> Nothing to be done. Recommend to delete past navigation entries and clear trip summaries from time to time

All in all looks like the new MX has a lot of work ahead. Hopefully it'll take 2 weeks and not much longer until I get the car back. Fortunately I picked up the last rental they had available today. Infiniti JX70 ICE mid size SUV... Guess I'm not as lucky as other owners who had "brand new Model S" for long weekend trips.

That is a crazy long list of things to fix. It's really unfortunate. I've had a super positive experience with the car, so surprised to hear about all the problems with your car. Makes me think I got lucky with mine, and nervous about getting another Tesla.

Tesla needs to produce a more buttoned up car, that's for sure. That said, a couple of points .

I'm a lifelong Porsche fan, and have owned several. Every 911 from 95 onwards that I have owned has had some known MAJOR glitch that would impact a large percentage of cars. For example, the 99-2004 991 (996 model) had the infamous IMS rod bearing issue, that need a new engine, many times out of warranty .

I have a new X, manufactured March 16th. Slight squeak in the rear, some panel gaps, occasional software reset, everything else has been awesome, rain and shine .

Tesla needs to produce a more buttoned up car, that's for sure. That said, a couple of points .

I'm a lifelong Porsche fan, and have owned several. Every 911 from 95 onwards that I have owned has had some known MAJOR glitch that would impact a large percentage of cars. For example, the 99-2004 991 (996 model) had the infamous IMS rod bearing issue, that need a new engine, many times out of warranty .

I have a new X, manufactured March 16th. Slight squeak in the rear, some panel gaps, occasional software reset, everything else has been awesome, rain and shine .

Another lifelong Porsche fan here and I agree their reliability is not that great, actually quite poor. I owned a 996 that had suffered from the IMS issue at around 30K miles (cost the previous owner £10K to fix out of warranty). Also had several show-stopping electrical issues with my 997 C4S. For example the stock OEM 12V batteries (which they insisted on everyone using for Porsche warranty) in those cars were appallingly unreliable. Window switches regularly failed too. Great cars, but not the Germanic perfection people sometimes suggest they are. Plenty of dubious detail design, poor ergonomics and a fair amount of cheap plastic trim on show. Not saying Tesla is any better, but so far I've had less issues with mine and I think the quality of materials is actually pretty good overall.

Reactions: rohitgarewal
We took our delivery of 2018 MX 100D about 3 weeks ago. Ours has been in Tesla SC and Tesla body shop for twice for about 2 weeks out of that 3 weeks. Just brought it home last PM also.

1st visit (4 working service days):

1) Loose clip in the driver door causing rolling around in the door (fixed with replacing clipper and removing loose item)
2) Squeaking sound from the passenger front door like house setting sound (unable to identified and no service done)
3) Misalignment of rear passenger FWD (replaced quarter glass but did not address misalignment of FWD)

2nd visit (7 working service days):

1) New squeaking and rattling from the driver door likely from previous repair and reassembly not done correctly (still there)
2) Squeaking sound from the passenger front door (brightwork and replacement of insulated molding)
3) Misalignment of front right fender popping out which likely accounted for squeaking sound. This popping out of fender panel compared to the passenger front door got worse over the time. Yes, the panel was gradually popping outward. (alignment repair at Tesla certified body shop)
4) 2nd row passenger seat motor grinding noise (faulty pitch mechanism replaced)
5) Passenger side FWD to right rear quarter panel misalignment and left front door misalignment (alignment repair at Tesla certified body shop)

Outstanding issue:

1) Front driver door squeaking and rattling. This will require return visit again. This was not present on the delivery but occurred after initial repair to remove and replace at SC.

Overall we only had the car in possession for less than a week. Haven't had chance to notice other issues yet.

Model 3 we took delivery had sunken front hood, bulging front light housing, and interior fitting issues. Tesla certified body shop couldn't fix the hood issue. These need to get addressed once I have more time.

Our previous 2015 MS had some panel gap issues and interior fitting issues which was common back then.

Overall disappointed in Tesla QA/QC. Love Tesla as repeat buyer, but I always recommend Tesla to family and friends with a big caveat of "submarginal QA/QC".

• Informative
Reactions: Yoonoo
We took our delivery of 2018 MX 100D about 3 weeks ago. Ours has been in Tesla SC and Tesla body shop for twice for about 2 weeks out of that 3 weeks. Just brought it home last PM also.

1st visit (4 working service days):

1) Loose clip in the driver door causing rolling around in the door (fixed with replacing clipper and removing loose item)
2) Squeaking sound from the passenger front door like house setting sound (unable to identified and no service done)
3) Misalignment of rear passenger FWD (replaced quarter glass but did not address misalignment of FWD)

2nd visit (7 working service days):

1) New squeaking and rattling from the driver door likely from previous repair and reassembly not done correctly (still there)
2) Squeaking sound from the passenger front door (brightwork and replacement of insulated molding)
3) Misalignment of front right fender popping out which likely accounted for squeaking sound. This popping out of fender panel compared to the passenger front door got worse over the time. Yes, the panel was gradually popping outward. (alignment repair at Tesla certified body shop)
4) 2nd row passenger seat motor grinding noise (faulty pitch mechanism replaced)
5) Passenger side FWD to right rear quarter panel misalignment and left front door misalignment (alignment repair at Tesla certified body shop)

Outstanding issue:

1) Front driver door squeaking and rattling. This will require return visit again. This was not present on the delivery but occurred after initial repair to remove and replace at SC.

Overall we only had the car in possession for less than a week. Haven't had chance to notice other issues yet.

Model 3 we took delivery had sunken front hood, bulging front light housing, and interior fitting issues. Tesla certified body shop couldn't fix the hood issue. These need to get addressed once I have more time.

Our previous 2015 MS had some panel gap issues and interior fitting issues which was common back then.

Overall disappointed in Tesla QA/QC. Love Tesla as repeat buyer, but I always recommend Tesla to family and friends with a big caveat of "submarginal QA/QC".

Sigh. It seems we're both in the same boat. After my first major SC visit (now) I'll only have the car 2 weeks out of 4 since delivery.

Thanks for providing the issues you've experienced. Very informative and makes me nervous once I get the car back what other issues or repeat fixes will still be needed. Especially afraid that after the body shop tries to fix the misalignment front bumper/side fender issue it'll screw up my full custom XPEL wrap.

Just dropped off mine for a couple of issues including suspension noise from passenger side, passenger FWD closing issue, driver door hitting something when closing. Hopefully this won’t take long to resolve because my 3rd child will be born tomorrow and I need a model X. They gave me an Enterprise rental C class this time. I’ve always had Tesla loaner before and this tiny car isn’t going to help.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Looking at this thread I keep thinking I dodged a bullet passing on 4/17 built inventory MX. Seems like owning a MX is still a part-time job for many owners.

On a different note, my 3/16 built MX was bought back by Tesla for multiple issues this past February. Two days ago I was dropping my son off at school and guess what I see- someone driving my old MX sans license plates! I wonder if they disclosed vehicle history to the new owner. IF SOMEONE RECENTLY BOUGHT A 2016 MIDNIGHT SILVER WITH WHITE INTERIOR WRAPPED IN XPEL STEALTH IN LA, FEEL FREE TO PM ME FOR VEHICLE HISTORY.

• Funny
Reactions: bell2041
Looking at this thread I keep thinking I dodged a bullet passing on 4/17 built inventory MX. Seems like owning a MX is still a part-time job for many owners.

On a different note, my 3/16 built MX was bought back by Tesla for multiple issues this past February. Two days ago I was dropping my son off at school and guess what I see- someone driving my old MX sans license plates! I wonder if they disclosed vehicle history to the new owner. IF SOMEONE RECENTLY BOUGHT A 2016 MIDNIGHT SILVER WITH WHITE INTERIOR WRAPPED IN XPEL STEALTH IN LA, FEEL FREE TO PM ME FOR VEHICLE HISTORY.
I am surprised they turned the car around that quickly. I thought they are using these as service loaners. I dropped off mine last Friday and the car has been sitting at service center since then. I had to drop off my new car for various issues and they gave me an enterprise rental. I thought I would be put back in that old car as loaner. The valet guy just said no.

I've never gone online and complained about a problem with a consumer product, ever.

There are those that complain about everything because, well, that's what they do, and there are those of us that don't act like the sky is falling every time something doesn't go perfectly in life.

This is the reason, imo, people seem to have vastly different experiences with their Tesla, it's the individual not the company/vehicle that is different.

Would I be excited to drive a cheap ice while my X is in for service? Nope. Will you see me here whining about it? Nope, I have better things to do with my life than let insignificant things make me unhappy.

Yes, but clearly above poster’s insignificant post bothered you enough to post your reply when you have better things to do.

I don’t think you can belittle others post as insignificant when OP’s MX clearly has many issues.

Yes, but clearly above poster’s insignificant post bothered you enough to post your reply when you have better things to do.

I don’t think you can belittle others post as insignificant when OP’s MX clearly has many issues.

Is sure did, can barely sleep at night thinking about it. Doing anything is better than spending a life full of negativity, like I said, better things to do.

I pick up our MX tomorrow after 3 weeks at the service center. Apparently Tesla doesn't know who I am. I thought life as I knew it was over but nope, still breathing.

Yeah I just chose to ignore his posts which add zero value. Everyone is entitled to their comments. He see's it as complaining. I see it as a snapshot of Tesla's quality for March 2018 when sales people / owners put it on a high pedal stool to downplay it because quality issues posted online are "outliers" compared to the masses.

Reactions: cwerdna and rjdoc74
Yeah I just chose to ignore his posts which add zero value. Everyone is entitled to their comments. He see's it as complaining. I see it as a snapshot of Tesla's quality for March 2018 when sales people / owners put it on a high pedal stool to downplay it because quality issues posted online are "outliers" compared to the masses.

Back to the best quote ever... “Tesla is a 120k car broken down as 80k battery and 40k car’.

Sums it all up.