Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New car navigation/map/screen issue, charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Just bought a new Tesla 3 SR+, have had map/navigation issues since day one (on day 5) where my map will get the jitters and start selecting points of interest all over the area, shake like an earthquake, click the tracking icon and it says "tracking disabled" and then after about 1-2 min it goes back to normal. On a 50min commute, it happens about 5x where it wigs out. Did a screen reset about 5x now and no help. Latest software 2020.35.

Other question, if I commute to work and back and don't charge at home I will have about 70 % of battery use. Should I only charge at work and take advantage of the free charging or charge at work and at home to 90%?

Thanks,

Mike

Just bought a new Tesla 3 SR+, have had map/navigation issues since day one (on day 5) where my map will get the jitters and start selecting points of interest all over the area, shake like an earthquake, click the tracking icon and it says "tracking disabled" and then after about 1-2 min it goes back to normal. On a 50min commute, it happens about 5x where it wigs out. Did a screen reset about 5x now and no help. Latest software 2020.35.

Certainly not normal! I would make sure the screen is cleaned, and if it continues to do this, schedule a service visit.

Other question, if I commute to work and back and don't charge at home I will have about 70 % of battery use. Should I only charge at work and take advantage of the free charging or charge at work and at home to 90%?

Ideally you want to keep your battery as close to 50% state-of-charge at all times, keeping a comfortable level of charge in your car to be able to handle an unexpected trip at a moment's notice. For me, and this is after having driven EVs for over 8 years, that level is 90-100 miles (about 30% in the Model 3 LR), so I don't even plug in at all until I get down to that level.

My strategy (during normal times) is to charge to 80% and then commute for a few days until I'm down to 30% and then plug in. During the pandemic, I now charge to 60% and plug in at about 35% (sometimes more than a week!)

So for you, I would certainly just charge at work. And probably not even every day! And only charge to 80% unless you anticipate needing some extra.

Op you will drive yourself completely crazy if you are trying to find some "charging regimen". There is no need to "only charge to 80%. You can charge to whatever range tesla shows you in the app for daily use.

Also the tesla manual for the car says specifically that there is no advantage to "running the charge down to charge it back up" so ignore any advice to "run the car down to XXX percent before you charge" which is not applicable to this car.

Now, does it HURT you to run it down? No, it doesnt, but there is zero advantage to doing so. There IS an advantage to keeping the charge percentage lower, but whether it is statistically relevant over a long period of time, no one really knows for this vehicle. If its more convenient to plug in at work, then do so. If you dont want to plug in at home because you are charging for free at work, then do that. Set it to a percentage that you are happy with, somewhere between 70 to 90%.

Dont overthink it, many people who get these cars go into analysis paralysis trying to "figure out the best way to take care of this battery!" but its not necessary at all to drive the car. Just charge it how its convenient to you and dont overthink it.

• Love
Reactions: Gasaraki and P85_DA
In case I was misconstrued (which it appears I was), I was not suggesting charging to 80% and only 80%, rather suggesting setting the limit to 80% which was lower than the previously mentioned 90%. You can of course set it lower if that suits your needs. I do think 90% is probably overkill for daily use unless you have a really long commute (sounds like you don't).

Here is more info.... I commute 102 miles, 51 each way. Coming off a Chevy Volt where I had to charge at each location for max benefit. BUT, given I can easily make it to home from work and back to work on one 50-60% use charge, was wondering if I should just charge at work for 4 hours and the battery getting used 80% down to 30% or charging up at every stop (Home and Work, only during work week). It takes me about 20% to get to work and 30% use to get home (hills). If topping the battery off daily at 80% is best, I'll do that. Right now it is set at 90% per what I read from Elon.

The 90% recommendation is more for occasionally battery calibration. General consensus/rule of thumb is to keep the SOC as close to 50% as possible, but frankly I think the closer you get to that ideal, the less important it is. 20-80% is probably 99% as good as 45-55%, and 10-90% is probably 95% as good. You really don't want to charge to 100% and then let it sit for 3 days. That's what's really harmful.

As @jjrandorin said, you can go nuts coming up with a detailed, accurate charging regimen for very little benefit. Do what's convenient and comfortable for you and don't sweat the details. But if you ARE looking for ways to baby your battery to the greatest extent, your best strategy would be to have the battery at as close to 50% when it sits for a long time as possible. This might mean setting your charge limit to say 70% and charging at both home and work, but if you want to take advantage of free charging at work, then charge to 80% at work and not at home at all.

Here is more info.... I commute 102 miles, 51 each way. Coming off a Chevy Volt where I had to charge at each location for max benefit. BUT, given I can easily make it to home from work and back to work on one 50-60% use charge, was wondering if I should just charge at work for 4 hours and the battery getting used 80% down to 30% or charging up at every stop (Home and Work, only during work week). It takes me about 20% to get to work and 30% use to get home (hills). If topping the battery off daily at 80% is best, I'll do that. Right now it is set at 90% per what I read from Elon.

Based on what you are saying, if you want the free charging, you should consider yourself commuting from "work" round trip (charging at work to your set percentage, driving home, not charging, then driving back to work to plug back in) instead of the normal commuting from "home" round trip most people with home charging do.

Same thing (work - home - work) vs ( home - work - home), plugging in, in one of those spots, and charging to your set percentage. There really isnt a need to plug in both places unless you are not working that day (then plug in at home).

If I was in your shoes, with free work charging, I would charge at work every day and not plug in at home at all. Based on your commute, I would set the charge to 90% to make the most of that free electricity at work. At home, I would not plug in unless I wasnt going to work the next day, and I would not use sentry mode, or cabin overheat protection at home.

I would also ensure that the car went to sleep at home by ensuring I wasnt connecting it to any third party apps, or if I did do that, I would make VERY VERY sure that they were not keeping the car awake. The above will have your car sleeping at work when it finishes charging at 90% and at home when you get back at 60%, and its likely you would experience very little BMS drift (reporting of mileage) doing the above.

Of course, if thats not convenient, you can do whatever is convenient, but the above is what I would do if I was commuting like you (which I am very close to doing, btw... I just dont have free charging at work, so I commute "home - work - home" and plug in just like I am mentioning above. My work commute is about 80 miles a day, to your 100 miles a day, and I am commuting from temecula to north county SD. Those 80 real miles cost me between 80 "tesla" miles and 125-130 "tesla" miles depending on time of year, whether its raining, etc, for my model 3 P. I am practicing exactly what I am mentioning above, and a 90% charge on my car is now 267-268 miles, down from 279 miles when new, and my car has 24k miles on it after a year and half.

I am not driving into the office nearly as much right now, because covid, but I feel comfortable recommending the above to you as something to "keep it simple".

Do you happen to have the protective film still on the screen?
From what I can tell it is not there, I have tried to pick at the corners and nothing comes and screen looks like glass. I think the delivery guys took it off. I'll check again.

I have an appt Monday at Tesla Miramar and showed him my freaky jitter navigation video and he did not ask if screen was removed (issue only happens on navi screen), he also new the car was brand new. They prefer to see and test it.

After my last reset with brake pushed the issue has not come back but that has only been a few miles, will keep testing/watching until my Monday appt.

Oh, and the sketch pad works fine, at least so far.

- Mike

Update - so I did a button reset with brake yesterday morning, no issues at all in the afternoon or on my hour long commute home. Got in the car this morning and my auto navigation to work was loaded, within minutes the navi screen starting freaking out. Killed the route to work and it settled down and was fine, turned work destination back on and it was fine all the way to work. So, my thought is my Cal Sync is maybe freaking the navi since it only syncs in the morning (now turned off), but will test Work Destination early tomorrow and see how that goes. Cheers!.

Murf

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Hi Murf, here's a test that may help you out. In the Toybox (I believe, my car is in service and I can't find the exact location) is a drawing / paint app. Next time you get the screen jitters, try turning that app on. It can help diagnose if you're getting phantom screen presses. If that's the case, then a thorough screen cleaning (dry, I've found wet cleaning help cause the problem) and another reboot may help you out.

Edit: read above and see you've already tried that.

Reactions: Murfman89
@DDHEverything , it would be helpful if you could explain what you are actually disagreeing with in my post Above. I didnt say a single thing thats controversial, so I dont understand what you are disagreeing with.

@DDHEverything , by disagreeing with this specific post, I now understand what is happening, so thank you for that. I will take appropriate action on my side.

Have a nice day

Update - same issue with screen jitter, killed navi to work destination and restarted destination and it was fine, but then I could not turn off my Air when it was 73 outside, trying to press the power button in the top left corner and the screen just pivots a 1/4" and can't open charge port door from dash screen, pressing it does nothing. Asking Tesla for new/replacement screen Monday. Bummer.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin