Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New car smell?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

iwannam3

Aug 8, 2016
Washington
How potent are the volatile organics off gassing in the newly delivered cars? It was real bad in a Mercedes we picked up fresh from the factory, just wondering because all the model 3s are fresh from the factory, not sitting in lots for months off gassing before being sold. We are heading off in a 3 hour trip after picking it up.

Also, a lot of streamlined cars have a severe buffeting noise and pressure waves when the windows are open at speed. How is the model 3 with windows open?

How potent are the volatile organics off gassing in the newly delivered cars? It was real bad in a Mercedes we picked up fresh from the factory, just wondering because all the model 3s are fresh from the factory, not sitting in lots for months off gassing before being sold. We are heading off in a 3 hour trip after picking it up.

Also, a lot of streamlined cars have a severe buffeting noise and pressure waves when the windows are open at speed. How is the model 3 with windows open?

Mine smelled great. Different than other new cars I've smelled, but in a pleasant way.

I've driven at 45mph with both front windows open and it was fine for me. Haven't done freeway speeds with them down yet. On most cars, I just open the two diagonal windows to avoid the buffeting and pressure waves (e.g. left-front and back right).

Mine had a very pleasant new car smell when I picked it up. I’m fairly certain the smell completely went away (or I got used to it) after just a few days.

As for the pressure waves when driving with the windows down, I haven’t done it at highway speeds yet, but it’s pretty bad with just the back windows down going around 45mph. Just cracking open the front windows a little bit completely stops it though.