Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New CEO named

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, was Mr. Drori already a customer? If not, will the rest of the customers get bumped back so he can get one of the early cars?

Ok, probably not the biggest concern, but I was just curious. The main thing is that they get the kinks out and get production started on time. Maybe they'll just make 51 cars in the first quarter.

I don't think the CEO change will affect the Roadster timetable, but I bet he will take a thorough look at every aspect regarding the Whitestar.

Taking a delay at this stage to make sure everything is well planned out often makes the program stick to schedule better later on.

Actually, I'm kind of suprised that they'd change horses again this close to launch. I know Micheal Marks was only supposed to be temporary CEO. But it appears to me he set the pace for the Roadster's production roll-out, and I kind of thought that they'd ask him to stay through the first quarter anyway.

Mr. Drori takes the reigns next Monday. I wonder if this means that Roadster production has officially started and it's time to shift focus to company growth (aka, WhiteStar)?

I have wondered for a while now if Tesla Motors wasn't being taken from Martin Eberhard, and I sure don't know how else to take this statement. Any thoughts?

Consistent with the completion of the CEO search for Tesla Motors, Martin Eberhard, co-founder of Tesla Motors, has transitioned from the board of directors and executive management of the company to the advisory board. As a member of the advisory board, Martin will continue to actively support the goals and efforts of the company.

Ze’ev Drori, incoming President and CEO of Tesla Motors, commented, “As I join Tesla Motors, it is extraordinary to see what has been accomplished in such a short time by Martin Eberhard and the employees of this company. As an entrepreneur, I deeply appreciate the hard work and passion that goes into founding a company and building something from nothing. I admire Martin’s tremendous vision and skills and wish him the very best.”

We know from Posts on these pages that Martin was/is being marginalized at the company.
see:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php?t=432

Martin is a visionary who is both smart and has a quick wit. He has been a great figurehead to rally behind. Something has happened or someone has had his or her feathers ruffled. So what!

Not keeping Martin is throwing away the baby with the bathwater. He is a great face for Tesla.
As the founder it is valid to keep him in front for a media role. He could be a Richard Branson, Trump, or Ted Turner. Who else could you hope for but a likeable, passionate, EVangelist that is verbally colorful and a freakin genius at convincing people to open their wallets!

Not sure what to think about this...

From the 1988 Inc. Magazine article cited by mt2:

...Drori will have to move quickly. "No chief executive, no manager, should be in his job more than seven years," he says firmly. "It really leads to stagnation."

My experience in a civil engineering design group is that a gung-ho team of engineers and technicians gets dramatically better with time and experience. We're always looking for ways to improve on quality and speed. That's my perspective at the working level.

Then looking at management, where much of life revolves about promotions and prestige, there are a variety of styles. I tend to respect those who love their jobs and are eager to make the organization - and their piece of it in particular - succeed. They get better with experience. Then there are those who bounce from place to place, with little or no background, but are perfectly willing to make decisions because they are so smart. Obviously, I don't have much respect for that category of managers.

It's common to read or hear of businesses that have CEOs who lead companies for decades, providing a steady hand, wisdom, experience. Makes sense to me.

So where will Mr. Drori lead the company? And how long?