Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you just buy a Tesla from Hertz Car Rental?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My income doesn't qualify me for the used EV tax credit, but I'm happy that the credit allows those who make less than $75k to purchase a Tesla!
The $75K limit applies to modified AGI. The 401K contribution limits are $23K (up from $22,500) for 2024. That means prospective shoppers interested in the Previously Owned Clean Vehicle Credit can make up to $98K in 2024 and still qualify so long as they make the necessary 401K, etc. contributions.

Reactions: Hiline
The shipper picked it up this afternoon and it will arrive at my house tomorrow. You're correct that the advertised price excludes the tax credit. There is an Illinois document fee (government paperwork related, $347) then a $1295 "dealer fee." I asked a slight decrease on the price and they knocked the fee down to around $1100. I thought it was just for paperwork but saw it's a DOWC warranty (dealer owned warranty). It looks like a junk warranty though and I think it's just a way to pad their profit a bit while having a lower list price. It covers the paint and interior for 3 years but those companies are notorious for being rip offs and not paying out claims, so I have no illusions that it will provide much benefit to me. Even so, the price is still great. All in with sales tax, title and temp tags, Illinois fees, and the dealer fee/DOWC warranty was a flat $23,000. Shipping is an extra $200-300. As long as they file the IRS paperwork right I expect to get $4000 back next year.

For anyone who's interested they have a ton of Teslas including ones very similar to mine! There is a MSM one for $20,775 before tax credit.
This is why I can’t stand dealers. Give me the price I’m going to pay. Not some $1300 bs warranty fee. And if I don’t want the warranty? I’m sure it’s no deal

I recently scored a 2022 M3 LR AWD Black on Black from an independent dealer. Car had been released by Hertz and is in good condition. I aired my few cosmetic grievances with the dealer, and they went out of their way to address all of them. Car was completely gone through and the only mechanical issue was a wheel bearing, which was starting to make slight noise. They replaced the bearing with an OEM one from Tesla. Car has brand new Continentals all around. 90k on the car; battery is down about 10% from new. I drive 4-5000 miles a year, so I'll use the next 5+ years to hit the mileage cap for the drive terrain warranty. After both Fed & State EV rebates at point-of-sale, I paid 16,600. Car is a rocket and full of great tech, including Ryzen. People may not want to touch these because of their 'pasts', but given the car was completely gone through and retains a 5 plus year warranty on the expensive stuff, I KNOW I got a good deal for my driving situation.

I recently scored a 2022 M3 LR AWD Black on Black from an independent dealer. Car had been released by Hertz and is in good condition. I aired my few cosmetic grievances with the dealer, and they went out of their way to address all of them. Car was completely gone through and the only mechanical issue was a wheel bearing, which was starting to make slight noise. They replaced the bearing with an OEM one from Tesla. Car has brand new Continentals all around. 90k on the car; battery is down about 10% from new. I drive 4-5000 miles a year, so I'll use the next 5+ years to hit the mileage cap for the drive terrain warranty. After both Fed & State EV rebates at point-of-sale, I paid 16,600. Car is a rocket and full of great tech, including Ryzen. People may not want to touch these because of their 'pasts', but given the car was completely gone through and retains a 5 plus year warranty on the expensive stuff, I KNOW I got a good deal for my driving situation.

If anything, their pasts as Uber cars should be a positive. I don't know about you, but I don't drive as smoothly as the Uber drivers I've encountered.

This is why I can’t stand dealers. Give me the price I’m going to pay. Not some $1300 bs warranty fee. And if I don’t want the warranty? I’m sure it’s no deal

That's how just about everything works these days. Look at hotel room advertised rates. They don't tell you about the resort fees, or this fee, or that fee. Book a flight on an airline, a million and half fees that you might not know about. Advertised rates on a rental car... This can go on and go forever. It's not just car dealers. It's everything. Even my phone bill and electric bill.

Reactions: Hiline
I did a little experimenting regarding the issue I'm having with my driver profile being unlinked automatically.

I removed my phone key and turned bluetooth off. I set my profile as the default for the key card. For a couple days everything was fine. Last night I charged and again this morning there was no profile linked to the physical key card. Something is causing it to clear.

Everyone else is having no issue with their profile remaining linked to a phone key or key card? I'm on software 2024.3.15. I could try the factory reset again, but not sure how that could remove some Hertz security feature.

Hertz earnings came out today and they said they are actually selling another 10,000 ev’s than planned. So they had 20k for sale and they’ve sold 10k. Now they are adding 10k to inventory. This will be epic, as they will be forced to slash prices. They are asking way too much for some of the cars, and they need to accept that most people want them to be at or below 25k to even consider them. Good times ahead for used ev buyers that qualify for the tax credit
IMG_5260.png

Reactions: timeshifter
So yeah, no post since 2017 but that's due to no Tesla news on my part. We did go through three Leaf leases and that worked well overall.
However the topic here is that we did finally get our 2022 RWD M3 and it's been working great. Oregon has had almost no used Tesla inventory at the Hertz Sales lot in Portland, and especially little under $25K. A couple (of co-owned) VW dealers has been getting most of the inventory. We went there and it worked out really well. The $24K car minus the $4K Federal Credit and the Oregon 'Charge Ahead' rebate of $5K worked as expected: Just above $15K out the door. It was worth the wait for the Oregon Rebate, obviously. We go into all that in detail if you're interested at everettpowered-evs dot blogspot dot com, and no it's not a commercial site. No affiliate links even.

My local Hertz has dozens of Chevy Bolt EUVs, all 2023 with 16k-25k miles, all under $19k. Good thing I didn't get one last year from a Chevy dealer. I was ready to buy one for $35k and I wanted them to go down $500 in price. They wouldn't budge so I walked out. But I did buy two Tesla M3's from Hertz, one with EV credit, one without.
So in your opinion, including everything & price, what is the better car and why? To me the bolt isn’t really a looker but neither is the front end on an older 3. Those prices sound great on the bolt. Is their warranty essentially the same as Tesla?

those who bought 2022 RWD. whats your full charge range? i am now at 260
At 75K mi. on the RWD LFP 2022 it says 258. Recurrent said 95.
All the non-LFP 2021's (with the roughly the same miles) were Recurrent 92.
Thus holding out for a late 2021 or any 2022 LFP seems like a good strategy.
It's tje #1 reason I wasn't concerned about the miles on the car. Well, that and
bringing up the service alerts on the service screen didn't show anything nasty.

Reactions: harisahmed90
those who bought 2022 RWD. whats your full charge range? i am now at 260

My 2022 M3 RWD (with LFP battery) with 71k miles shows 253 range at 100% charge.
Also keep in mind that with the last two software updates, the range was changed and most vehicles are showing fewer miles. So 272 on a new vehicle probably wouldn't be accurate with the software update.

So in your opinion, including everything & price, what is the better car and why? To me the bolt isn’t really a looker but neither is the front end on an older 3. Those prices sound great on the bolt. Is their warranty essentially the same as Tesla?

I think the Chevy Bolt EUV is a great car. I test drove one last year at a Chevy dealership. If I bought it for $35k, it would have been a huge mistake. A one year old Bolt from Hertz with very low mileage for $19k is a fanatastic price. If I didn't already buy a Tesla, I would have definitely bought a Bolt, with or without the EV credit. As for which is a better car, it's subjective.

The idea of autopilot and FSD was an incentive for going with Tesla. But now that I've owned a Tesla for a few months, I've come to realize it's mostly hype. It doesn't work as well as I'd like and I rarely ever use it. Essentially it's just traffic aware cruise control which Chevy, Ford, and other manufacturers have as well. The phantom braking issue on autopilot really got me spooked. I was going 80 mph on I15 from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. Out of nowhere, the Tesla slammed on the brakes while a semi truck was behind me. There was absolutely nobody in front of me as I just passed the semi truck to over take it. The nearest vehicles in front of me were just a few glimmers of light off in the distance. Behind me were the semi truck and maybe 2 or 3 passenger vehicles.

Last edited: