Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New incentives for EV in Europe.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I skimmed over the actual report and the goals seem mostly subjective. The only concrete rule I found was

The Union has agreed to achieve a reduction of EU greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions of at least 20 % by 2020 (30 %, provided that other developed countries commit
themselves to comparable emissions reductions and that developing countries
contribute adequately according to their responsibilities and respective capabilities); to
ensure that 20 % of energy consumption comes from renewable energy by 2020; and a
20 % cut in primary energy use compared with projected levels, to be achieved by
improving energy efficiency10;

It's good to see the EU pressuring countries to comply but this all seems fairly unimpressive to me.

It will be up to the countries on what kind of incentives they will do. In London you already have to pay £10 every day you drive in the city. I hope they increase this.
Just some slight incentives in every country, will let Tesla be more competative.

Well, the main prroblem is that diesel emissions test suck hard, There is only a smoke test and although halved for cars built after July 2008 the standards are so loose that you can delete the DPF and pass. From March the 1st 2014 they're adding a visual inspection to check the DPF hasn't been removed, but "proper" removal replaces the core or drills a hole to bypass the DPF so a simple visual won't find it. It's loophole big enough to drive a deleted taxi through and gives "friendly" garages enough leeway to excuse missing a deletion.

As long as the tests remain overky generous people will continue to delete the DPF and London's foul air (it really is) will clean up only a little as the busesare replaced and the engines themselves continue to get cleaner.

You know I'm surprised there is no EU wide incentive for EVs yet.

I know taxation is usually the domian of member states, but for instance VAT is "sort of" regulated by the EU. Brussels has some power over what/how many classes of products get a lower tax category - i do not know the details and am too lazy to look them up now, sorry. :tongue:

Anyway, what they could do is assign 0% VAT to EVs until their share in the cars registered reaches e.g. 25%. Maybe put a cap on it (how much of a break a car can get, e.g. not more than EUR 10k or something), just to be fair - even if the Model S would not qualify for the full amount.

Now that BMW and even VW are gearing up to produce (some) EVs maybe even Germany would back this.