Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Inventory Model S Panel Gap Issue - Fixable/ask to fix before delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI All -

Finally found an inventory Model S that I like, in my area and for the right price. the OA sent me pictures and all looks good except a slight panel gap issue where the bumper meets the rear fender as per the photos.

I'm moving ahead with the purchase on the assumption that this is something easily fixed - would be great if someone could confirm this? Also, I am picking up in a week is it reasonable to ask them to rectify it before pickup? I'm hoping not to waste time after taking delivery chasing this down.

Thank you in advance for your comments!

IMG_0724.jpg
IMG_0732.jpg

This is my experience & mine only.

I purchased an inventory car, sold to me as new & it was shipped from California. Pix, price, etc looked great. I was the first owner. Got this registered & even got the plates for them!!!.

Got it, loved it & got it wrapped after a month (the good ones are a month out usually.). That's when they found a slew of issues, that I could not see. There were paint issues, panel gaps & .... mismatched quarter panel glasses. (Tesla did not have service records for whatever reason.)

Took it back to Tesla & they bought the car back & are building me a new one. Inventory cars are a 'hit / miss'. Some folks have good luck with them; some completely miserable.

If you are picking one up and if you are not a car body+paint expert with an eye for detail like me, take a body shop guy with you at least. Get an 'expert' opinion. Might cost you a lunch or dinner; but may be worth it.

Good luck

P.S: For the new car that's coming in, I have my wrap guys on standby for delivery time. Just in case. :)

Due to time constraints I will only be able to inspect it when I go pick it up which is why I asked for detailed pictures. I will give it a full inspection before accepting delivery. I'm pretty OCD so will make sure I'm happy with it. Definitely will not complain after the fact!

Any opinions on whether the particular issue I identified in the picture is easily fixable, and if it is reasonable to expect them to do it before delivery?

That looks OK to me. Would not reject delivery for that.

Might be worth your time to ask if they would adjust it for you prior to delivery.

Bumper is usually a tight fit...no panel gap. Maybe it just needs to be pushed out a scoch and then retightened.

Average person would never notice it.

Last edited:
Have all things important to you addressed and fixed before you accept the car.

Some things described as easy fixes become more difficult fixes when the car belongs to you instead of them. They can get things fixed before you can. Their rapid fix incentive is to sell the car.

There is a chance that the panel spacing is secondary, the outward view, just what you can see of something amiss deeper and unseen. Be suspicious. It’s cheaper than being surprised. Did someone replace that bumper? Was the car bumped. Is that a sign of repair and not simply a factory assembly issue. If there is slight distortion in the bumper mounting sites, maybe that is the best fit they could do. These questions are better asked before handing over the check. If they correct the spacing without problems, that allays a lot of what would be my concerns. I might find a body person who can have a look, maybe there’s more involved, fixed paint, etc. Better to know.

And is that wheel scuffed a little as well? I can’t tell. But there’s no reason to remove a wheel from a new car... unless maybe you remove it to fix a bumper...

I would not let time be a pressure for this purchase. I’d also make an additional trip an option. This is a huge purchase, if it was me I’d treat it like one. I wouldn’t be rushed, I’d have everything corrected before purchase, and if it meant an additional trip, plane ticket, night in hotel, etc., well that’s a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of the purchase.

Thanks. I don't think the wheel is scuffed, its just reflection, but I've been told if there are any scuffs on the wheel they will replace them also.

The delivery center is only an hours drive for me. If its not up to my standard, I'll just refuse delivery and tell them I'll take delivery when everything is fixed. They are trying to push it out before the end of the quarter but I'm not going to let that dictate if I'm happy or not.

Yes, it is a significant purchase. I want to be sure I'm happy!

Thanks. I don't think the wheel is scuffed, its just reflection, but I've been told if there are any scuffs on the wheel they will replace them also.

The delivery center is only an hours drive for me. If its not up to my standard, I'll just refuse delivery and tell them I'll take delivery when everything is fixed. They are trying to push it out before the end of the quarter but I'm not going to let that dictate if I'm happy or not.

Yes, it is a significant purchase. I want to be sure I'm happy!

The scuffed wheel was mentioned not because of the scuffs, but if scuffed might indicate the removal of the wheel. There’s no reason to remove the wheel unless it was necessary to remove the wheel in order to replace the bumper. I couldn’t tell if there were scuffs around the center wheel logo cap or not. So it isn’t the scuffs that matter, it is that it might indicate removal of the wheel in order to effect a repair.

You are right, the end of quarter is their deadline, not yours.