Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Panel Gap Issue March 2023 delivery Austin Build

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hear this a lot when I talk of my experiences with Tesla and panel gaps. Typically some variation of “you’re too picky” or “just enjoy the car”. Guys, the car door latch doesn’t align with the striker and the door doesn’t seal. I can hear road noise as if I’m in a go kart and water is leaking into the cabin. These aren’t trivial concerns. Like all of you I’ve owned other brands and I’d challenge any one of you to provide one example where the doors on your car were hung that badly.
I didn’t mean there’s no legit cases. But I have seen here and elsewhere pictures of panel gaps that were subtle, with ”outraged” buyers/owners. Like any carmaker, Tesla has to draw the line somewhere - buyers can’t expect perfect, that didn't happen with legacy auto in the same price range. Again, Tesla pushed panel gap limits too far in the past, and they’re paying the price in much more scrutiny persisting…

New Model Y Austin build with tail gate /trunk panel gaps ,Tesla refuses to acknowledge citing within tolerance.

Like the technology but do not like the way they are treating us as a customer after delivery.

My initial feel is they have a long way to go before they are as good as a conventional dealership for after sales.

Having said that I need help with the pictures I attached of the trunk. Clearly to my eye the gap is too wide.

Measures 5.5mm on the left side and right side measures 2.6mm. Tesla SC said they cannot do much about this . Reported within 7 days and under 100 miles.

It seems unreasonable that they cannot fix it. What options do I have , appreciate your help and suggestions .
View attachment 926223View attachment 926224
It is like we need Tesla more than they need us - which will change . I encourage competition so no single company takes anyone for a ride.

Thank you All in advance.
I had the exact same issue, this is my wife’s car and she’s willing to let it go. It bugs the hell out of me that they are calling this “in spec”. When I asked them, what spec was they said it’s proprietary looks like ours are about the same issue so your *sugar* out of luck. I’m going to pick up mine right now after receiving the news that my 20 issues only two gaskets were replaced. Everything else was in spec. My guess is they don’t have a way to adjust things like this. I just had the door gasket replaced on my model three 2020 because it was cracked now the wind noise is worse than ever. Funny enough our 2016 S is a great car.
1697900680764.png

1697900890841.png

Last edited:
They did not fix unfortunately. But I did escalate it through customer service. It is obvious they did a crappy job with their qa for the sake of numbers. Same answer , within Tesla specs . Make sure to report within 100 miles and document in case you want to bring this up later. I have an appointment later this month , trying a second time.
Let me know how that goes for you because mine is the same and they are telling me to pound sand. I would’ve refuse delivery if I had known they wouldn’t have fix this. I predict more and more people are going to learn they can refuse delivery.

I had the exact same issue, this is my wife’s car and she’s willing to let it go. It bugs the hell out of me that they are calling this “in spec”. When I asked them, what spec was they said it’s proprietary looks like ours are about the same issue so your *sugar* out of luck. I’m going to pick up mine right now after receiving the news that my 20 issues only two gaskets were replaced. Everything else was in spec. My guess is they don’t have a way to adjust things like this. I just had the door gasket replaced on my model three 2020 because it was cracked now the wind noise is worse than ever. Funny enough our 2016 S is a great car.
I know it's not what you want to hear, but if you walk the lots of most mainstream auto dealers, you will find unequal panel gaps on all models, though maybe not every car. If you are expecting perfect, you will never be satisfied unless you buy a much more expensive car if then. We have a Honda Accord and a Hyundai Santa Fe that both cost well over $40K and some gaps are perfect to the naked eye, some are not. Again Tesla buyers have become hypersensitized because Tesla build quality including panel gaps was so bad 5 years ago or so - so they have no one to blame but themselves, but they have to draw the line somewhere, all automakers have spec tolerances.

Agree. I've had panel gaps issues on cars much more expensive I've owned than my MYLR. And seldomly would they correct, and when I did have a few corrected, they made it worse. Manufacturers make the news every month for recalls, fires, steering issues, etc. and barely any press coverage. No manufacturer gets press coverage when when a driver uses ACC or simple cruise control and falls asleep at the wheel and gets in an accident? Nope. But in a Tesla, it is national news because it MUST be FSD or autopilot causing havoc. The scrutiny that Tesla receives is unprecedented.
I know it's not what you want to hear, but if you walk the lots of most mainstream auto dealers, you will find unequal panel gaps on all models, though maybe not every car. If you are expecting perfect, you will never be satisfied unless you buy a much more expensive car if then. We have a Honda Accord and a Hyundai Santa Fe that both cost well over $40K and some gaps are perfect to the naked eye, some are not. Again Tesla buyers have become hypersensitized because Tesla build quality including panel gaps was so bad 5 years ago or so - so they have no one to blame but themselves, but they have to draw the line somewhere, all automakers have spec tolerances.
My problem was more about the dealership returning a car in 24 hours that seemed to be parked under a bird tree so it had sap and poop, dirty boot prints inside the car and they took out the roof screen, lost a clip and never put it back in. Having said that this is our 3rd Tesla and the best built out of the batch and most quiet is the 2016 S 85. Maybe other cars have these fit and finish issues but I don’t experience that with a same cost BMW. The communication is what is terrible, also saying something is “in spec” but if you ask what Spec tolerance is they say it’s proprietary, isn’t that transparent.