Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had been approved for the 5K rebate back on July 21st. I received a confirmation email stating that I would receive an email informing me the day my rebate would get mailed out. Per the email, the processing time for the rebate would be 30 days. Fast forward to a month later (August 21st), no communication regarding the rebate was received so I emailed the charge up program. I received a response stating that they were behind but will keep me informed of any updates. Another month (now September 22nd) has passed by and still I had received nothing. One of the reasons I decided to go electric is because of the incentives that NJ had to offer but I have yet to receive it. Is anyone else experiencing a "delay" in getting the NJ EV rebate after already having been approved?

We have been waiting since July on a $625 rebate for a Prius Prime Plug-in our family purchased. No communication. I think things are slow due to COVID, I know the rebate was approved. We are awaiting delivery on a MY and I’m also counting on the $5000 rebate for that. It would be very bad if it went away.

We have been waiting since July on a $625 rebate for a Prius Prime Plug-in our family purchased. No communication. I think things are slow due to COVID, I know the rebate was approved. We are awaiting delivery on a MY and I’m also counting on the $5000 rebate for that. It would be very bad if it went away.

They are actually very responsive via email, but they can't tell you much. Waiting on approval from 2 weeks ago.

If it's MVC handling the rebates, they are waaaaay behind. Mailed in a title change for my daughter's car (paid off car loan) on 6/23, got title on 8/31. When I called in early August, they were still working on APRIL submissions.

they supposedly ran out of budget but said - they would get more re appropriate -- apparently money was re directed. I don't have facts on this - just stuff Ive pieced together from the rgroups on Facebook - so - take it with a grain of salt. This is perhaps why there is a delay.

they supposedly ran out of budget but said - they would get more re appropriate -- apparently money was re directed. I don't have facts on this - just stuff Ive pieced together from the rgroups on Facebook - so - take it with a grain of salt. This is perhaps why there is a delay.
You're right, 16 million was cut from 30 million allocated, that's roughly 2800 applicants assuming all getting 5k. 1800 application was received 1 month ago. I'll be skeptical about the status of the rebate until more money is allocated during next fiscal year.

Reactions: VaxAce
I don't mind waiting for a rebate as long as I get it. I'm not going to lie here, while $5000 won't break the bank, it is playing a large role in the purchase of the car and using the money to pay for a panel upgrade for 240V outlets.

What determines whether or not they actually pay you? Do you know at the time you actually sign it? I would be really ticked.

The general state of affairs concerning the NJ fiscal situation post Covid is what my concern is. Costing the state a ton of money to fund these testing sites...Also, increased unemployment payouts, family medical leave, shortfall in tax revenue. Im sure they're looking for anywhere they can draw money from to cover other areas...

I emailed them today.

Hello Matt,

Thank you for your interest in the Charge Up New Jersey Incentive program. While I cannot specifically guarantee you will receive the incentive, this is a 10 year program, as it is written into legislation by the Governor in January 2020. We have not reached the cap in funding for this fiscal period, and we will receive renewed funding for each additional fiscal period.

contact New Jersey’s Board of Public Utilities or check their page for updates and press releases as they become available, here.

Sincerely,

Charge Up New Jersey Staff
Center for Sustainable Energy®

Office: (877) 426-2474
[email protected]
chargeup.njcleanenergy.com

I guess the lesson here is get in as close to the beginning of the fiscal year as possible.