Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Member, questions on ordering and business use.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am a new business owner in private healthcare clinic and have the time right now to really throw a wide net out for researching what tax laws I can use to my advantage considering my use case.

The general plan is the X will be my business vehicle that for their remainder of 2018 will be used 90+% business use and then next year during the day may be used by my staff to transport patients into my clinic for care.

It will go home with me at the end of the day and be my commuter as well but the daily mileage will easily surpass 50% of it’s total mileage.

Does anyone use this for business use to transport clients in any way and what does that insurance look like (commercial)

I am contemplating going with a 2017 to save 20 grand but unless I’m wrong I don’t then get the tax credits on the vehicle which total $9900 for me in Delaware. It’s really only saving 10grand at that point to go used and after business deductions pretty much cut the “cost to me” in near half it’s maybe $6000 cheaper to go used. That seems like a small price to pay to have a new one with any new features or range they come with now.

Ordering a new one I need a referral link I gather. I’m sure I can find a referral link from a current owner and does that only get me unlimited supercharging?

So I am a new business owner in private healthcare clinic and have the time right now to really throw a wide net out for researching what tax laws I can use to my advantage considering my use case.

The general plan is the X will be my business vehicle that for their remainder of 2018 will be used 90+% business use and then next year during the day may be used by my staff to transport patients into my clinic for care.

It will go home with me at the end of the day and be my commuter as well but the daily mileage will easily surpass 50% of it’s total mileage.

Does anyone use this for business use to transport clients in any way and what does that insurance look like (commercial)

I am contemplating going with a 2017 to save 20 grand but unless I’m wrong I don’t then get the tax credits on the vehicle which total $9900 for me in Delaware. It’s really only saving 10grand at that point to go used and after business deductions pretty much cut the “cost to me” in near half it’s maybe $6000 cheaper to go used. That seems like a small price to pay to have a new one with any new features or range they come with now.

Ordering a new one I need a referral link I gather. I’m sure I can find a referral link from a current owner and does that only get me unlimited supercharging?

Hi! I have messaged you my referral code which you can use to receive free unlimited charging :)

I read that thread front to back so I have some background. I am saying that a used 100D is like 130K. Used they seem to be in the just over 100k range. Seems to me like the regular depreciation on sales price isn’t all that great on these vehicles. Maybe I need to research more on price of the used market. Realistically if I could get into a 2017 for 75-80k that would be great but I really would like the near 300 mile range, autopilot and autonomous driving modes that seem to jack the prices past the hundred thousand mark.

I may end up waiting until the business is older to make the jump into this vehicle but didn’t want to leave anything on the table if I could make the tax law work for me as I start up and incur a net operating loss for the first year anyway. The more deduction or operating loss I can incur this year the less I pay next year in taxes as well. The federal credit drops by 50% on Jan 1 2019 as far as I understand and we have no way to know how the section 179 will change for 2019. I am pretty confident I can take the deduction now and carry over a larger loss this year to offset next year earnings. I plan on keeping the Tesla for a very long time like 7-8 year range so the residual will be pretty small that I would have to pay tax on when the business is done with the vehicle.

I meant a new 100D is 130k not used. Seem to save like 25-30K buying used and that is without the 10K credit but I guess you are right that it would still be like $20K saved... I guess the question then is does the 20K saved make it worth it for no lifetime supercharging, buying something used, and additional warranty coverage if chosen to cover it the same amount of time you would have when new.

Basically I want high 200’s in range, autopilot and autonomous driving, and 7 passenger (which seems to be a rarely chosen feature.)

I will continue doing my research on this forum as well just throwing my use case out there in case someone else was already in a similar position.

I meant a new 100D is 130k not used. Seem to save like 25-30K buying used and that is without the 10K credit but I guess you are right that it would still be like $20K saved... I guess the question then is does the 20K saved make it worth it for no lifetime supercharging, buying something used, and additional warranty coverage if chosen to cover it the same amount of time you would have when new.

Basically I want high 200’s in range, autopilot and autonomous driving, and 7 passenger (which seems to be a rarely chosen feature.)

I will continue doing my research on this forum as well just throwing my use case out there in case someone else was already in a similar position.

FYI we have 7 seater (white seats) late 2017 model and LOVE them!!! You can fold down and turn it into a big hauler if needed!

Yes, you only get unlimited supercharging now and if you order after mid September it drops to free supercharging for only the first year. Feel free to use my referral code (see profile), but I would recommend you find someone in your local area for a code (perhaps from your local owners group) to leverage some goodwill etc. Remember that the referral is worth much more to them than it is to you!