Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Mercedes AA battery powered car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The video just behind the "AA" model was about rats eating car wires. We have that problem in spades in the desert. Anyone thinking about how many wires are exposed on a Model S and what it would cost to repair pack-rat damage? Will a Model 3 have good protection for the insulation?

So was that a hit against EVs or Mercedes....seemed more like an EV which is a shame.
I think if it were anti-EV, they would have shown a "weirdmobile" instead of a Mercedes. To me, it's more to satirize how traditional car makers, especially luxury brands, are responding to the sea-change started by Tesla. Instead of making a compelling, competitive vehicle, they are offering a 53-mph car using 9,000 AA cells as their answer to range anxiety. If there's anything the 400,000+ Model 3 reservations has shown, it's that a sizable segment of the population (through Youtube drag race videos and social media) knows that an EV, as done right by Tesla, is fast, has long range and convenience via Superchargers. So, I believe this is the intended audience for this satirical TV ad.

Last edited:
ok, I can see that, I guess I was just in a different frame of mind when I watched it. Tesla is the only one that uses thousands of small batteries and since it's the most popular EV right now, I couldn't decided what they were referring to....BUT, I would think since SNL casts are always a younger generation they would get EVs.

Tesla is the only one that uses thousands of small batteries and since it's the most popular EV right now, I couldn't decided what they were referring to....
I think this also is their way of poking fun by envisioning, satirically, how another manufacturer tries to ape Tesla's design, but poorly. Instead of using thousands of low-cost rechargeable cells to build an integrated RAID-like battery pack, the response is to use thousands of discrete non-rechargeable cells where the health of each cell is monitored by the software and displayed on the screen so the owner can replace them individually as needed. And instead of plugging in to refuel the car, you pull the fabric strip to discharge all 9,000+ cells and replace them with fresh Duracells kept in the trunk. :)

If anything, it may be seen as a pro-Tesla "ad".