Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S Owner, Warranty Ends soon, what to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If your warranty is active but ending soon pay for a “four year service” and let Tesla fix all the things that you have on your list and any they find. Tell them about the AC pump before your appointment.

I’ve been out of warranty. 145,000 miles on my 14S85. No desire to buy a warranty.
New, I agree, manufacturer warranty takes care of issues/bugs. After four years and 100,000 miles, issues are mostly sorted out. I intend to keep the car long term, trying the theory that it will easily go 500k miles.

EVTuning door handle internal gear and wiring easily fixed my door handle weak points. $120 each. Replaced driver door internals first, then passenger front door second. I’ll do the back doors when they break eventually.

MCU replaced at Wexford PA Service Center because I respectfully and cautiously asked about the repetitive restarts immediately after a software update.

I paid for my rear half shafts <$200 since the service center told me the 8 year, unlimited mile “drivetrain warranty” was a “drive motor” warranty. Cheap enough.

I received a loaner car every time I had to leave my car for service. We asked nicely for a Model X and got it each time.
Each service center is unique, but Pittsburgh is a big enough city to be comparable.

I’m now going to be going to the Charlotte, NC Service Center so I’ll get to see if there’s a difference in service for my out of warranty car.

First I’ll stop by to say “hi” with nothing wrong just to meet the team there on a quiet Tuesday morning. It’s a 90 minute drive, so maybe I’ll talk to them about the possibility of mobile service too.

I have been having a lot of autopilot restarts... during driving it shuts off and says unavailable.... since last software update. Is this a known mcu issue? I an 4k miles from end of warranty on 2017 MS.
Thanks.

Wanted to provide our understanding to this thread.

Our team has been involved with Tesla since 2011, from being an official 3rd Party leasing partner, to being within Tesla Sr. Management. Our goal was to create value add products for Tesla vehicles to help give individuals that "peace of mind" that is needed to jump into a Tesla and strengthen the brand overall by aiding the resale market.

X-Care is there when you need it the most. Whether its from us paying for the bill for a component replacement, towing your vehicle to the nearest Tesla Service Center, providing rental reimbursement because of lack of loaner allocation, or making your vehicle more valuable when you go to sell it, X-Care is here.

We understand the arguments on both sides that may think it might not be worth it and take that gamble, we think that is perfectly fine. However, not everyone is willing to take that gamble and rather than push that potential owner back to an ICE, we want to give them the ability to help make that decision easier. As we tell everyone, these cars are amazing (which is why our entire staff owns them :)) and generally speaking, these parts are not supposed to fail, however that does not mean they cannot. And some of the components really add up especially considering a fairly high labor cost.

The goal was to help the brand overall and give a warranty option for people who buy from dealers, higher mileage vehicles, or have a Model 3 (no ESA for Model 3). We have partnered with a significant amount of dealers who do sell Used Tesla's to give consumers more options. We are here for this community and want to aid it in every way possible.