Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S Owner, Warranty Ends soon, what to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am the proud New Owner of 2014 Model S 85 ,
full bumper to bumper Warranty Ending soon, not going to renew

Main drive unit already replaced by prior owner

What are the most important things to get done prior to this running out?
Door handles? 1 failed already
A/C pump? it's a little noisey
Rear lights / condensation issue?
Screen?

Anything else vital you would recommend? <<<

Are the warranty reps cooperative, as a rule?
any certain techniques involved in communicating or correct way to request/present issues?

thanks!

The loaner may be in the form of Uber reimbursement - instead of providing a loaner Tesla, which is what they used to do before the onslaught of Model 3 deliveries.

Purchasing the additional 4 year/50K mile warranty is basically an insurance policy. If Tesla has worked this out correctly, there should roughly be a 50/50 chance that you'll break even or come out ahead (or lose money) on purchasing the warranty. Since there are a few items that cost large $ to replace (such as the console processor/display), having the warranty provides protection against hitting any large service bills during the next 4 years/50K miles.

In theory, a Tesla has fewer moving parts - plus the motor & battery pack are warrantied for 8 years/unlimited miles (for S/X) - so the exposure to large maintenance costs should be lower than with an ICE. But we still decided to purchase the extra warranty on all 3 of our Tesla vehicles...

What are the most important things to get done prior to this running out?
Door handles? 1 failed already
A/C pump? it's a little noisey
Rear lights / condensation issue?
Screen?

Anything else vital you would recommend? <<<

What and how much are such "catastrophic" repairs over $2K? Battery and drive units are covered by 8 year warranty, so 2015 car is well covered.

Fair point, i guess it comes down to what each considers catastrophic. I drive an X, and if a FWD broke, and they charged me like $6k to fix it, i'd put that in the category. I'm not nearly as familiar with the S, and honestly don't know what costs on repairs out of warranty for a Tesla would be, but the sentiment sounds like its not cheap. My point was more so that a warranty gives you a ceiling on your expenses. If you are risk averse, it can make sense.

What and how much are such "catastrophic" repairs over $2K? Battery and drive units are covered by 8 year warranty, so 2015 car is well covered.

Out of curiosity, with that same thought process, if you bought a new S today, and you had the option to buy it WITHOUT the 4 year new vehicle limited warranty for $4k less, are you saying you would take that discount? You would be satisfied with just the battery and drive unit warranty?

What are your future plans? Are you going to sell the car in the next two or four years? Or do you expect to keep it well beyond that? If you plan on selling it, then getting an extended warranty, while you still can, might be a good investment, as it will make it easier for you to sell the car down the road, assuming the warranty is transferable.