Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model X Doors vs 2020 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!

I just upgraded from a 2020 model x long range plus to a brand new model x plaid.

In my 2020, the front driver and passenger side doors would open all the way with the key fob (as long as they weren't obstructed, of course) but in the new one they don't. They only pop open about 6 to 8 inches then I have to manually pull them open.

Is this a setting I can change or is this just the way the new ones are?

Apparently, that's because there are no proximity sensors - the replacement for them is Occupancy Network which Tesla hasn't launched yet. Until then, the front doors just crack open a little as the vehicle doesn't know if it might hit an obstruction.
@Tessellation mentioned the above when on another thread when a member brought up the same issue regarding the newer model doors not opening all the way.

I get USS being removed in front and back, and replaced by cameras, but after 6.5 years with an X I would be really hesitant to open the FWDs without the sensors on them. The cameras can’t see above the car where the FWDs are.

And as far as I know our car doesn’t have any sensors in the front doors at all. They use the FWD sensors to determine how much to open.

Reactions: maytaurustiger
no key fob needed. phone key works. Make sure disable at home isn't checked.
Also, my door opens all the way half the time weirdly. I think if it senses the body as you approach it doesn't open all the way but when you approach it at a weird angle it does and if there's nothing there

Reactions: taldric
Just picked the mx plaid manufactured 05/23. Same issue that front door does not open all the way.

From a service center chat, they claimed it was a new drive unit installed. But I believe the missing USS theory makes more sense.

FWD works fine though.

Reactions: taldric