Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y owner — Do I need to wait for my permanent license plate to arrive before applying for CAV decal & Personalized Plates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took my Model Y delivery like a month back. I plan to apply for the California CAV decal & personalized plates. The respective forms have a license plate field. Since the permanent License number isn't going to be the same as the temporary one (AFAIK), I was wondering if it affects the process in any way. Would anyone know what's the right steps?

Might not be the answer you are looking for, but I decided to wait until Jan 1 to get the next years color and pushed back expiration. Not sure if that matters to you, but a few weeks of wait to get another year of carpool sticker usage is worth it for me.

Reactions: cwerdna
Might not be the answer you are looking for, but I decided to wait until Jan 1 to get the next years color and pushed back expiration. Not sure if that matters to you, but a few weeks of wait to get another year of carpool sticker usage is worth it for me.
Oh that makes sense. Is the expiration based on the year (and not on the date of registration maybe)?

They go by when you apply and get them. Its possible if you apply today they wouldnt process it until 2022, but no guarantee so I prefer to wait until Jan 1 to submit the application. In my previous cars, its taken a few months to get the stickers. You will see them deposit the check a month or two at least after you submit.

The current color is blue. If you apply after jan 2022, you will get a different color.

Reactions: cwerdna