Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I convince Tesla to fix the paint on my new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of my new Model Y that has swirl marks and scratches all over the car, the hood seems the worst. Tesla is trying to make it seem like I am overreacting and things are in spec. What do you think based on the photos? What can I say to get them to do anything more. These are after they took it to the body shop and "fixed" the paint issues.

I probably would have rejected delivery, but it was early on in the FSD transfer process before they clarified that you can reject delivery.

Legitimately have zero issues with the paint on my 2018 model 3 even to this day and I have no wrap on it. How this "new" Model Y looks worse than my 5 year old model 3 is beyond me. Does the blue just show scratches more than the white?

Attachments

• 20230823_202300.jpg
    20230823_202300.jpg
    997.2 KB · Views: 434
  • 20230823_202303.jpg
    20230823_202303.jpg
    977.9 KB · Views: 363
  • 20230823_202314.jpg
    20230823_202314.jpg
    1,000.5 KB · Views: 354
  • 20230823_202554.jpg
    20230823_202554.jpg
    893.5 KB · Views: 344
  • 20230823_202619.jpg
    20230823_202619.jpg
    804.9 KB · Views: 354
  • 20230823_203225.jpg
    20230823_203225.jpg
    902.5 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
I just took delivery of my new Model Y that has swirl marks and scratches all over the car, the hood seems the worst. Tesla is trying to make it seem like I am overreacting and things are in spec. What do you think based on the photos? What can I say to get them to do anything more. These are after they took it to the body shop and "fixed" the paint issues.

I probably would have rejected delivery, but it was early on in the FSD transfer process before they clarified that you can reject delivery.

Legitimately have zero issues with the paint on my 2018 model 3 even to this day and I have no wrap on it. How this "new" Model Y looks worse than my 5 year old model 3 is beyond me. Does the blue just show scratches more than the white?

I don't think the color is the problem.

Swirl marks could be fixed by a detailer but they will appear again when the polish is worn off so you just have to repeat as needed.

Was it taken to the body shop during delivery or through a service request? I’d just open a service request stating the issues were caused by Tesla Service. Hopefully a service manager will review the case and make it right.
They were there when I took delivery, feel a bit worse now after the service visit, but maybe it's in my head. They certainly don't look better though, no idea what the body shop did.
I don't think the color is the problem.

Swirl marks could be fixed by a detailer but they will appear again when the polish is worn off so you just have to repeat as needed.
So is there nothing that can be done about this outside of repainting the car? Bet Tesla will fight tooth and nail not to do this.

Sadly, I agree with Unclepaul. Maybe a different SC knows how to "paint correct"? If not, I'm afraid you should cut your losses and take it to a reputable detail shop. It shouldn't be too expensive.
It's still annoying that some Service Centers continue to allow damaged paint to be sold to customers..

Those holographic super light swirls show up under special lighting and inspection.

A good detail shop should be able to paint correct those all away.
Thank you, think I will just go that route. I absolutely love the car, but overtime it's under strong light these swirls and scratches become obvious and it just makes me sad, really disappointed in Tesla here. Think I will bite the bullet and do as you say with a detailer. Was planning on getting a ceramic coat anyways so will just get both done together.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Yes the surface is scratched. Unfortunately, one cannot really tell how bad it is over photos. If you can feel it when running your nail across the surface, then it is a deep scratch. You have to buff the paint surface to get rid of the light scratches and improve deep scratches. I paint correct and ceramic coat my cars all the time. You can easily buy a DA polisher and do it yourself if you want. Just so you know, every time you buff, you are basically removing a layer of the clear coat to level off the surface.

Pay a prof body shop $100 to write up a detailed paint condition assessment including remediation recommendations
Give to Tesla to perform or pay for those remediations
All documented and hard to deny

While it shouldn't have to be done on such a new car, a good cut n buff will take care of that. Don't think I've ever bought a car that didn't come with dealer installed love marks. What you have is better than the wet sand marks from taking off nibs that seems to be posted quite often around here.

Reactions: soapinmouth
My blue MYP I took delivery of 2 weeks ago also looked like s#!t. Not quite as bad as OP but not far off. Worst paint condition of any car I’ve ever bought, by far. I have some paint correction experience so I cleaned a lot of it up myself rather than fight with them about it. But it was super disappointing.

I hate to say this but those are not "swirls" or "holograms". From the pictures you posted...those are surface scratches.

When you took delivery in your original post you stated this:

Since I believe they are surface scratches. If this is AFTER you took it to a body shop based on Tesla advice then the body shop did not do a good job.

Super confused....were the scratches there upon delivery or after? AGAIN, did Tesla send you to a body shop to do this "repair"?

Do you have a delivery set of pictures from when you took delivery?

Thank you, think I will just go that route. I absolutely love the car, but overtime it's under strong light these swirls and scratches become obvious and it just makes me sad, really disappointed in Tesla here. Think I will bite the bullet and do as you say with a detailer. Was planning on getting a ceramic coat anyways so will just get both done together.
If you do ceramic coating, any good installer will do a paint correction before applying the coating. I just had mine done to my MY when it was 2 weeks old and although it was nothing like the condition of yours, they did a proper paint correction before applying the ceramic coating. Since you are in Socal, let me know if you need a recommendation. The guy I used also just did my wife's Subaru and 2 cars for my brother (Model S and 2023 Kia Sportage) and all are satisfied.

(SOOOO sorry to hear about the need for paint correction on Teslas. My 12/2020 build (Fremont)2021 MYLR, red, was flawless from the factory, and needed ZERO paint correction before ceramic, in Jan. 2021)

Last edited: