Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is permanent license plate number required for applying for carpool decal for new Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got delivery of our 2023 Model X. Trying to get used to the stalkless experience! I wanted to apply for the car pool decal. The application asks for the license plate number. Can I use the temporary license plate number or do I have to wait for the permanent license plate (does the license plate number change?). Thanks.

Just got delivery of our 2023 Model X. Trying to get used to the stalkless experience! I wanted to apply for the car pool decal. The application asks for the license plate number. Can I use the temporary license plate number or do I have to wait for the permanent license plate (does the license plate number change?). Thanks.
I would not want to risk delays by sending a temporary license plate. It precisely means "temporary."

You can try with the temporary license plate, and the worst would be that it would reject your application, and you will need to resubmit with the regular license plate. You'll get your stickers eventually, but the back and forth will delay your stickers.

In so doing, you'll be our first test case!

I've always waited for the permanent license plate to apply for the carpool decal. It took ~4 weeks from my delivery on 10/11 to get the license plates. I mailed my carpool application the day after getting the plates in the mail 😄

Also, yes, the permanent plate number is different than the temporary license paper plate.

Yes you can, make sure your VIN is correct on the application. You won't get your decal until a plate number is assigned, mine came about 2 weeks after the plate.

The first week of ownership (new car) I started driving in the car pool lane (48 miles one way 4 days a week).
  • I carried the car pool sticker application and receipt so I had a leg to stand on if stopped.
  • I know it wasn't legal, but what cop is going to pull over a Tesla when so many others are cheating and using the car pool lane?

1700697067531.png

Attachments

• 1700696503909.png
    1700696503909.png
    230.2 KB · Views: 48
When I got my Y, I applied for the carpool sticker on temp plates and also applied for personalized plates before getting my regular permanent plates. I received my permanent regular plates and then the carpool stickers a couple weeks after that and then my personalized plates a few weeks after getting the carpool stickers. So far, have not had any problems.

Thanks. I decided to wait on perm plates to minimize churn.
In meantime enjoying the 1 year free Full Self Driving capability. It is impressive, but also rigorous (as Tesla monitors your eyes for attention on road and warns and then eventually disables FSD if your attention wanders too many times.