Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y roof, new wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model Y roof cracked and was replaced by Tesla in Peabody MA (2.5hrs from our home in Maine). Unfortunately it now makes a pronounced wind noise over 35mph, right near the driver's head (or so it seems). There's nothing visually apparent looking at the outside. I was in a VERY heavy rain storm coming home and did not see any leaks. Any suggestions for how to go about curing this? Convincing Tesla to deal with it, and making one or more trips back to Peabody, seems unlikely.

There's a rack on the roof, but it never made this noise before so I don't think it's the rack noise that others have complained about. I figure I'll put some tape over the seem between roof and body sides to see if it at least changes anything. Caulking? Other ideas?

Thanks,
Dan

I'd take the rack off and see if the noise goes away.
I played around with masking tape. Covering the roof/body seams helps a little, but putting it around the base of the rack to eliminate air gaps seems to have the greatest impact. So yes, it seems like the rack is the primary offender, though I don't know why it's so much worse now than it was before the roof was replaced. Same rack obviously, but thanks LoudMusic for getting me to focus on the rack.

My Model Y roof cracked and was replaced by Tesla in Peabody MA (2.5hrs from our home in Maine). Unfortunately it now makes a pronounced wind noise over 35mph, right near the driver's head (or so it seems). There's nothing visually apparent looking at the outside. I was in a VERY heavy rain storm coming home and did not see any leaks. Any suggestions for how to go about curing this? Convincing Tesla to deal with it, and making one or more trips back to Peabody, seems unlikely.

There's a rack on the roof, but it never made this noise before so I don't think it's the rack noise that others have complained about. I figure I'll put some tape over the seem between roof and body sides to see if it at least changes anything. Caulking? Other ideas?

Thanks,
Dan
That's a bummer about the wind noise after the roof replacement. It can be really distracting, especially if it's right near the driver's ear. Since you've got a rack on there already and it wasn't making noise before, it might not be the culprit. Taping the seam is a good start to see if it changes the noise. If that doesn't do the trick, you might want to look into some additional sealing solutions. And while we're on the topic of roof racks, if you ever need to replace or upgrade, the Tesla Model Y roof rack from TESERY is a solid choice that might help you avoid any wind noise issues.

I had wind noise on our 2020 and now 2022 Y from the passenger side above the windshield area. In both instances, I was able to eliminate most of it with one of those rubber wind noise reduction kits.

For $20 it's worth a try. Good luck.

• Helpful
Reactions: Gaige
I had wind noise on our 2020 and now 2022 Y from the passenger side above the windshield area. In both instances, I was able to eliminate most of it with one of those rubber wind noise reduction kits.

For $20 it's worth a try. Good luck.
Agreed with the wind noise reduction kit. I had front windshield replaced by Tesla, similar new wind noise, and the front rubber filled in the gap significantly helped. I didn't do the doors or anything more than front of the roof between windshield glass and roof glass.