Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MS Performance be owner. Have a few questions.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all

I recently upgraded from a 18 M3 DM to a 20 MSP

Had many debates in my head of waiting because of pros and cons blah blah blah. Found a deal and said just go for it.

So far love the car and pros outweigh cons but a few things I’m trying to verify is:

It does have FSD capability that came with it from Tesla
Current software version: 2023.12.11 (FSD11.3.6)

1. Sentry Mode remote live view
I have the premium 30 day trial currently and I will go to paid subscription once I get closer to end of trial, but it seems I don’t have the live remote sentry view. I know it doesn’t have internal camera so wouldn’t see that camera but assumed it would still show all other camera angles I thought maybe at first it was the software version but fairly certain this version supports live remote view. Im thinking it’s not included in the older S style cars pre 2021 refresh. Which is bummer.

I thought I read reports it may be added down the road but doesn’t appear the case atm.

Anyone have any insight?

2. Blind spot camera ability for when making turns

Another thing I can’t seem to find to turn on is the blind spot camera when you make left or right turns. It appears it’s not available for the Legacy MS pre 2021.

Hoping this also gets included in future upgrade. Not sure why this was left out. Any insight on reasoning? I wouldn’t think it was a camera issue but not sure. I really liked that on M3.

3. Phone key

I know this is hot topic and I don’t believe the legacy S has the RFID sensors like M3,Y
I thought I read Musk was talking about enabling it using Bluetooth but doesn’t appear to be option yet. I really liked just carrying phone and not having to take a key and the walkway doors is fantastic

I did see how I can go into app and touch start car and unlock so could use that instead of carrying key fob. And guessing because of lack of RFID hardware it may not be possible

My biggest struggle is the auto approach door handles are really delayed and literally have to be right up next to the driver door and have fob out of pocket most times before they approach to open. I tried replacing batteries but didn’t really help. I checked for key fob software update. And it’s current. It’s under warranty so Tesla is coming out to look. I thought being a 2020 it would be better than older model years.

Any insite on this or how good should I expect auto approach door handles to work? I have to imagine I should be able to walk within 5 feet and they’ll be open before I get to car or coming out as I get up to it.

All relatively minor but thought I’d ask.

Going to a 2 year newer top of the line S I had hoped these features would also be included since few of the features were software updates over last year or so but guess not 😇.

Thanks for any replies or insight on these questions.

Scott

Last edited:
1. Not equipped/available on the pre-refresh Model S

2. Not equipped/available on the pre-refresh Model S

3. Not equipped/available on the pre-refresh Model S

Like you said, very minor in the grand scheme of things. Enjoy your rocket ship (be sure to check out launch mode).

Reactions: ucmndd
My biggest struggle is the auto approach door handles are really delayed and literally have to be right up next to the driver door and have fob out of pocket most times before they approach to open.

Scott
Would it be quicker if you open trunk shortly on approaching as this will present all the handles? I usually do this but I have fob and can’t say for phone with BT enabled.

Would it be quicker if you open trunk shortly on approaching as this will present all the handles? I usually do this but I have fob and can’t say for phone with BT enabled.
Once in a while, I find I have to touch the handle, but the delay is only a second or two so I do not think of it as "slow." Maybe I am just accustomed to it after nearly 8 years.
My caution about opening the trunk first is that there is a well-known issue with the rear hatch opening mechanism failing, which is apparently a real pain to deal with. (There are threads on this.) So, why cause the mechanism to fail sooner (Or even again if it has been repaired)?