Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MX order questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Lease on my wife’s MX P90D, no Ludicrous, is maturing 9/24/19. Reached out to local Highland Park, IL store and my salesperson (he was with Tesla for last 4 years) is gone as of a month ago. At the same time I was contacted by email about Lease End options… it was a person from Tesla Loyalty Team who also is able to be SA. I called him back and he was very helpful on numerous aspects. Just ordered with him MX that I will be leasing (LR, Midnight Silver, 22” wheels, Black interior, FSD).

A couple of question:

1. I am planning to use ev-cpo.com to see if MX that has a significant discount pops up (we are not picky on colors). Tesla delivers cars from a 500 mile radius only. Is ev-cpo the best option to look for new Inventory cars? SA can do this also but I doubt he will be doing this daily.

2. My lease matures lose to the end of the quarter, so I may be able find an inventory car that has a significant discount (thinking 10% or so based on what I observed before… or getting Performance version for a price close to LR). I was advised by Tesla SA that he can match me to that car instead of the one I ordered. My concern is that some of these inventory cars may be customer returns from a 7 day policy with possibly many problems… what are your thoughts on this and how to know if this is a returned car?

3. If on the ev-cpo.com car is listed with Autopilot only and no FSD, can this car be leased and programmed by Tesla to have FSD before delivery? Or is there a hardware change? Just wanted to have more options on inventory cars.

Thank you for the feedback.

Tesla delivers cars from a 500 mile radius only.

The policies are always changing. I would confirm this with Tesla directly. I assume we're talking here of Inventory cars and not used.

Is ev-cpo the best option to look for new Inventory cars?

Well, I think it is, but I'm obviously biased. :) Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

SA can do this also but I doubt he will be doing this daily.

Working with an SA will always increase your chances of finding what you want. Not all inventory cars are listed online, and SAs have access to many others they can get for you.

3. If on the ev-cpo.com car is listed with Autopilot only and no FSD, can this car be leased and programmed by Tesla to have FSD before delivery? Or is there a hardware change? Just wanted to have more options on inventory cars.

You can certainly pay extra for FSD capability now, but my belief (as many others have) is that if you are leasing a car, you'll pay full price for FSD, but only get 3 years out of it. And most of the true FSD features aren't even released yet, other than Nav On AP and advanced summon. There aren't any hardware changes, it's all software.

The policies are always changing. I would confirm this with Tesla directly. I assume we're talking here of Inventory cars and not used.

I checked with Tesla corporate and this is the case.

Working with an SA will always increase your chances of finding what you want. Not all inventory cars are listed online, and SAs have access to many others they can get for you.

Does EV-CPO pull from a different database than the SA would? Is there a way to know if the inventory car with some miles is a customer return or demo? Also, on EV-CPO, the discount column does not show any discounts even if there is one... is that a bug?
Here is the example that was linked to EV-CPO:
https://www.tesla.com/new/5YJXCBE21KF159609

You can certainly pay extra for FSD capability now, but my belief (as many others have) is that if you are leasing a car, you'll pay full price for FSD, but only get 3 years out of it. And most of the true FSD features aren't even released yet, other than Nav On AP and advanced summon. There aren't any hardware changes, it's all software.

I completely agree... I am also still on the fence about letting AP control the car when I have the whole family in the car... at the same time, the residual for the the car and all options is about 50% so in 3 years I am only paying for half of FSD or about $3k, something that is acceptable for me.

Does EV-CPO pull from a different database than the SA would?

Yes. EV-CPO gets the data from the public facing Tesla.com website, so it only has access to cars that Tesla lists there. SAs have access to an internal list of cars that are never posted online.

Is there a way to know if the inventory car with some miles is a customer return or demo?

Not without asking Tesla directly. If it's a customer return and the car was titled/registered to the customer, Tesla has to sell those cars as used.

Also, on EV-CPO, the discount column does not show any discounts even if there is one... is that a bug?

For inventory cars, the "discount" field is reported directly from Tesla. Some cars have a discount (already included in the listed price) and some do not. It's not a bug, EV-CPO only shows exactly what data Tesla publishes.

Here is the example that was linked to EV-CPO:
2019 Model X | Tesla

That car has no discount listed in the data stream from Tesla, so they already adjusted the price and did not include the "discount" value in the data. You'd have to ask Tesla why that is. You can view the HTML source on the car detail page to see the discount fields:

upload_2019-8-29_10-18-19.png

I am also still on the fence about letting AP control the car when I have the whole family in the car...

I have an AP1 car, and it's still a great tool for driver assistance. AP2 is even better now. But Autopilot is not Autonomous driving. You, as the driver would still need to drive the car and monitor what AP is doing. The promise of "Full Self Driving" (some level of autonomy more than what we have today) is several years, if not a decade or more away, and that's not including the regulatory, liability, and insurance issues that would need to be resolved first.