Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annoying Order Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About two weeks ago, decided to order a new MX - green light from the wife. My daily driver is a 2022 MS and if the boss says it is okay, why not right?

1. Registration. Looking at the Inventory available (strike while the iron is hot) I find out that Tesla has changed things around. You are no longer able to use ev-cpo to find that perfect model, click on the order and fly to pick it up. Now where the vehicle is at, that's where it needs to be picked up and you can't pick a vehicle outside of your State to register it in.

2. Shipping ... except for used vehicles, didn't appear they offered shipping. Even talking to customer support, they said that they haven't shipped new inventory in over a month. Of course they stated that I would be free to pick up the car and transport it via carrier myself, but I could find no way to ship an inventory vehicle from one service center to another because ...

3. Trade-ins. Not only is there some crazy lag in getting a trade-in valuation, something like 7+ days and I don't have one, but you have to trade-in the vehicle where you pick it up. So if I'm driving 7 hours to pick up a new vehicle (because ... shipping above) I'm going to have to hope there is no QC issues and that the trade-in is done there. Would much rather drop it off at the local SC and then fly for 1.5 hours to wherever and pick up my car.

4. FSD transfer. Hey, that's why we're doing it this quarter, right? Well it appears that you get ONE option to trade-in & execute a FSD trade-in. If you cancel that order (because of let's say a $20K price drop) that option is no longer part of the app for the new RN. Ultimately, it isn't a make-or-break because any subsequent trade-in gets the valuation of the FSD (and $6K -> $12K seems like a win). But even the CS person stated "I can cancel that order, reply YES to the text message, wait about an hour and it should be there on the new order"

5. Demo vs Inventory pricing. I noticed there was zero price difference between Demo and Inventory vehicles. Literally the same pricing regardless of miles on the Demo vehicle, so why would you want one - unless it was spec'd out exactly? Made no sense as like a car rental ... you never know who is doing what to your vehicle vs new car.

6. Configuration changes ... of course if the spec is identical to what you want, great! But if you don't want that yoke, and want to sub a steering wheel .. $700 at the SC, and that's with you booking an appointment. They should be able to schedule the appointment at the same time so you're not stuck waiting a few weeks for parts & service to get their stuff done.

7. Scheduling. They give you 7-days basically to confirm a scheduling date. And in that 7-days there 3-days that they have available to get to the SC that is 7-hours away. Because it's a three day weekend, they're telling me only 530P Monday Tuesday (1200 or 5P), Wed or Thu. Well crap, that's just not going to work with logistics and not having a trade-in valuation. If you can't meet that date, they're going to cancel the order, put you back into the queue and get back to you.

Final Reminder - if delivery is not scheduled by 4PM tomorrow this vehicle will be automatically released to the next waiting customer. Your order will be placed on hold and is subject to cancellation. Schedule your Model X delivery now at tesla.com/schedule/RN

It makes little sense that they can't figure out how to get a car to a customer, but instead wants the customer to go to the car. I was literally in Palo Alto twice last month, will be in Fremont where these things are supposedly made - but they want me to fly to Vegas if I want to close out a deal by EoM?

Sorry, but I can eat these multiple $250 deposits losses, especially when we're talking $20K price drops.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: morbidz