Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my Y 10 days ago, the driving dynamics are amazing... the fit and finish are another story. Yes, I know Tesla is not know for amazing fit and finish, but this is beyond anything I could have imagined. It's 3 colors of white, door alignment is a joke, the trim is atrocious. I had it at the dealer today and I swear there are things worse now.

What are my options?

Thank you

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
Unfortunately, after 10 days you can no longer return the car. You will need to fight the Service Center to rectify the paint, which might be hard at this point. I know the bumpers they are saying sorry, not fixing, but the door you might be able to get re-painted.

They said that they reached out to "Engineering" and are waiting a reply. The service advisor did mention that they would reach out to a couple body shops to get quotes...but honestly, this would need to be the entire car.

BTW, 10 days was the earliest appointment I could get and I put in the service request on delivery day

• Funny
Reactions: Akikiki
Concentrate more on how great it drives, than fit & finish.

Can't imagine how you could get 3 colors of white when the cars are painted completely assembled with the same spray gun. Perhaps it is the different angles that appear different colors. Could take it to an independent paint shop where they have the equipment to precisely measure color. Sometimes a plastic bumper will take a different sheen than the metal panels, but they should still all come out the same color.

Uncle Paul
I appreciate the advice, but this is beyond acceptable. My 2012 Lexus with 189000 miles had better paint and perfect panel gaps. Does the Y drive better? Significantly. I know how cars are painted, I worked for MBUSA, and a vehicle in this condition would never make it out of the factory.

Here's the conundrum... front doors match the front fenders, back doors match the quarters. If painted, where does the new paint stop? If you paint the front doors to match the back, then the front doors don't match the fenders.... the answer is the whole car needs to be repainted. Tesla will never do that, not a chance.

20200630_213511.jpg

Uncle Paul
I appreciate the advice, but this is beyond acceptable. My 2012 Lexus with 189000 miles had better paint and perfect panel gaps. Does the Y drive better? Significantly. I know how cars are painted, I worked for MBUSA, and a vehicle in this condition would never make it out of the factory.

Here's the conundrum... front doors match the front fenders, back doors match the quarters. If painted, where does the new paint stop? If you paint the front doors to match the back, then the front doors don't match the fenders.... the answer is the whole car needs to be repainted. Tesla will never do that, not a chance.

View attachment 563235

I am working with FCA, the car like this will definitely be rejected at End of the Line inspection. Lots of Fit & Finish issues cannot pass the inspection either. Where is Tesla Spec/Standard??? Even my friend just bought a white Hyundai($20000) came with perfect fit & finish.

I do not understand why so many people so confident to support Tesla, and close eyes to all these issues. Buying a car, not buying a toy. Do you think you will accept a brand new iPhone that leaks, comes with big gaps, scratches, color differences on the screen glass, even though it is easy and fun to use??? Come on , enjoy the features apple offers you, keep quiet about the issues?

Do not ppl know there is a standard you have to follow when you are doing business in specific field?

I cannot take a brand new car doesn't matter what brand with this kind of paint job. I believe majority of bodyshops can do better job than this. If you car get repainted after accident like this, would you accept it?

Reactions: DennyL and Impaler
Uncle Paul

View attachment 563235

I would try anyway. There is precedent from a Blue MY owner on this forum who had mismatched panels and in the end Tesla actually did cover repainting the entire car at a body shop.

Reading all of the comments contained in this thread is the main reason my wife and I have put off purchasing a MY (which would otherwise be a perfect auto for our needs). I trust and hope that Tesla QC will rise to a an acceptable level within the next six months or so. Otherwise we'll be compelled to consider the Mach-E, which is not as sophisticated in its technology, but will do the range we require, and (unless Ford becomes incompetent) will be built to industry standards.

I find this situation rather sad, as by all rights Tesla is on the way to "owning" the EV market, and the sole stumbling block seems to be their QC.

Rich

Reactions: house9 and Kelr316
They said that they reached out to "Engineering" and are waiting a reply. The service advisor did mention that they would reach out to a couple body shops to get quotes...but honestly, this would need to be the entire car.

BTW, 10 days was the earliest appointment I could get and I put in the service request on delivery day

Mines took 1 week for "engineering" and management approval for body shop repairs, which would include repaint if required. Why it needs the approval, Tesla has to pay for the repairs. So, yes, you can get it repainted if you really push it honestly.

My Y PUP was dropped off to SC on June 15th and according to my app, it is still at their certified body shop. Its been nearly 4 weeks and counting.

What is your VIN #? Mine is 9079 and my panels and doors might have been mixed up with yours. The rear panel is the worst mismatch and some of the doors are not quite as bad but definitely not matched. Maybe we could trade doors.
What is your VIN #? Mine is 9079 and my panels and doors might have been mixed up with yours. The rear panel is the worst mismatch and some of the doors are not quite as bad but definitely not matched. Maybe we could trade doors.

14583... lol

Mines took 1 week for "engineering" and management approval for body shop repairs, which would include repaint if required. Why it needs the approval, Tesla has to pay for the repairs. So, yes, you can get it repainted if you really push it honestly.

My Y PUP was dropped off to SC on June 15th and according to my app, it is still at their certified body shop. Its been nearly 4 weeks and counting.

Trust me, I'll push. It's unacceptable for an $18,000 car let alone one that's $60k