Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner in the U.K.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Evening all.

I’d just like to introduce myself. I live in London, and had been in the local Tesla shop a few times but wasn’t tempted at the previous price level.

I drive an Audi R8 Plus, and a BMW M3, and sometimes my wife’s smart car.

I deceived tomhave another look after the price drops, had a test drive today and have just put down a deposit on the faster version of the Model S.

I’ve ordered in Grey, with the white interior, and the smaller grey wheels, but think I’ll change to the 21” versions. The plan is probably to sell the M3, although I already feel Range anxiety two months before delivery.

Are there any threads here aimought to read to get started, any hints and tips to oook out for, and would anyone like to chip in with advice about the spec I’ve gone for?

Total cost was £90,000, but it’ll be about £3k more I think for the bigger wheels.

Anyway, hello from London.

Welcome, Tony!

That's a great car. In fact, it's the same as my 2017 Model S P100D... except it's newer, so it's better in a lot of ways - and a lot cheaper - kudos!

Range anxiety quickly fades. Things that are worth mentioning:

1) You won't supercharge in London (I assume you're relatively central), so make sure you have a charger at home or at work or somewhere you can regularly plugin and "slow charge"
2) You won't get the stated 335 miles range unless you drive it like a grandma, on a perfect day. My 100% charge is actually 302 miles... Of course, rated miles doesn't add up whatever the power train. You'll get more like 200 real world miles, which is still fine.
3) Be careful with Autopilot.
4) They're wide cars. Avoid Albert Bridge and similar 6' 6" width restrictions. You'll make it through, but it's brown trousers time.
5) The first time you reverse park it using the camera, make a reference note of where the lines are on the screen vs your wheels in real life... they might not be quite where you expect. This can help avoid curb rash in the future!
6) Stick the air suspension on high when you're driving over those horrible speed bumps that have shown up everywhere recently...
7) The Navigation has a setting to try and avoid traffic. But, to avoid traffic, it'll often take you on bonkers route through some back streets. You may want to disable that when driving around town, and just use your better judgement...
8) CHILL mode can be your friend in London traffic - makes for a much smoother ride at less than 20mph. Sport or Ludicrous mode is your friend elsewhere in the country... it's ridiculously fun.
9) Make sure you have a WiFi connection that the car can sit on overnight or regularly connect to... otherwise you'll only get major updates.
10) Enjoy having the fastest-off-the-line car in town