Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner with a slog of issues after "Factory Reset"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heyo, everyone.
I bought a used 2016 90D last night and drove it home with much excitement. Everything worked perfectly. When I got home, I only had about 20mi of charge left, so I decided to plug it in overnight and let it charge so I could play with all the settings in the morning.

Got up this morning, and saw that it'd been added to my Tesla App overnight. (Score!)

Since the previous owner had all of his preferences, and I wanted to start fresh, I did a "Factory Reset".

Took about 5min for the car to "wake up" again, and I've now lost a LOT of things.
#1: Car thinks I'm in Tesla HQ in California. (I live in Mentor, OH - 30min east of Cleveland) I drove the car around the neighborhood for about 10min, and nav still isn't working. As I'm driving around the arrow of my car doesn't move either.
#2: It's showing speed limit signs as if I'm in Europe. (Circular signs) It's registering in MPH, but showing signs as I pass them in MPH.
#3: My time says I'm in California. Tried the "Press time for 5 sec" trick, but it still shows PST instead of EST where I am.
#4: My SiriusXM is completely gone. So is the area where on the videos I've researched that shows sources. I've got only Radio and Spotify in the lower menu.

Did I screw something up by doing the factory reset that badly that I need to take it in to a dealership?

I tried connecting the car to my home WiFi to see if that'd get me more updates quicker, but that didn't work either.

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but all the google searches I'm doing lead back to here, but older articles that I'm sure there is an updated way to fix these things. Thanks in advance!

I'll add that the display reaction time is really slow now too. Last night everything was quick and snappy. After the reset, I click and it takes a few seconds for it to register the click. I'm guessing it's still "updating" in the background or the computer is busy doing other things in the background? Just perplexed right now.

I'll add that the display reaction time is really slow now too. Last night everything was quick and snappy. After the reset, I click and it takes a few seconds for it to register the click. I'm guessing it's still "updating" in the background or the computer is busy doing other things in the background? Just perplexed right now.

I am not a model S owner (I have a model 3 and my wife has a model Y), but I have read a few model 3 owners have a somewhat similar experience from factory resetting a car in preparation to sell it. It usually fixes itself after a while, so I have always just assumed that it factory resets everything with data, so has to "re boot / re configure" itself.

Its a bit strange to me that you drove it for 10 minutes and it still had those software issues, but I am betting it will sort itself out, Hopefully soon. I dont believe you did anything wrong, as long as you did the factory reset thats in the regular menus.

Yeah the factory reset should have occurred before the car was transferred to your profile. It will get fixed just add pain in the mean time. You doing the reset after assignment just made Tesla think you weren’t the owner anymore.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Small misinformation… I’m not sure if the OP removed the car from his/her profile after the factory reset. If after the reset the car still shows up on their account they should be ok. When I did mine at carmax it reset the car and then removed from my Tesla account… don’t remember if an extra button push was required. Sorry for any possibly confusion.

I’ve been driving it to my closest Supercharger for the last 30min and it still thinks road signs are in Europe and my car is at Tesla HQ.

Attachments

• 7DBAFC1E-BF8A-4050-A82F-82C12B11DAD3.jpeg
    7DBAFC1E-BF8A-4050-A82F-82C12B11DAD3.jpeg
    449.2 KB · Views: 82
Can you tell if it has connected to Tesla yet (i.e. via cellular or WiFi)? It seems like GPS is offline and awaiting the Tesla server to tell it which country it resides in. If there is no connection, it could be in this limbo state. If you haven't done it, I'd set up WiFi in the car and let it connect. Hopefully, it will then quickly sort itself out.

Reactions: Leeclanual
I’m plugged into a Supercharger right now, hoping that would tell the car “Hey, dummy…you’re in Ohio.”

Nope. Still thinks I’m in California. Nav didn’t work the whole trip.

Tesla knows the car is mine because it’s charging, and connected to my app. I’m perplexed. Annoying driving without nav and Sirius. Tidal and TuneIn showed up though, so I have hope this will resolve its self today.

Attachments

• D9E49009-809D-4392-89EE-0C1FCC9C2056.jpeg
    D9E49009-809D-4392-89EE-0C1FCC9C2056.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: Leeclanual