Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New pricing...inspiring upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted something in the main MS forums, but wanted to see if any other Canadians are feeling inspired. I have a 14 CPO 85 with 70,000 km on it.

With the new price drop due to currency, included options, and Ontario rebate, the new base 75 isn't a huge $$$ upgrade.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Also, I feel like the window is short here, as I can't imagine the $14000 rebate sticking around once the M3 is out, and the currency will in all likelihood go back to where it was in the coming months.

Thoughts?

Upgrading to a new 75 was an option we didn't want to proceed with, even though the cost to upgrade is minimal, mostly because the S is just a bit bigger than we'd prefer, and the size of the Model 3 fits better with our normal needs.

Currently : 2013 Tesla S85 CPO (loaded) with just shy of 100,000 km and under CPO warranty till 2019 and motor/battery to 2021.

Built a spreadsheet of the options, and keeping the S long term is about the same as getting a new top of the line loaded Model 3 on a monthly/depreciation basis factoring in possible repairs out of warranty. I am looking forward to a year from now when I can make an informed choice having seen the 3 in person and test driving before we proceed with whatever option.

But yeah, $14K rebate and reasonable depreciation on the CPO S are compelling reasons to upgrade, not the least of which is all the content Tesla threw into the S recently including massive performance improvement to the base battery cars and standard equipment like air suspension.

I can definitely see the dilemma. I'd seriously consider getting a new S if I lived in Ontario with their EV rebate, and especially if I was only going to only have one Tesla. I'm going to add a Model 3 since I like the idea of having both a large frunk Model S, and adding a smaller Model 3, so I'd probably wait for the 3 and likely lose the substantial Ontario EV rebate, by the time the 3 comes to Canada, if I lived in Ontario. But if I was only to own one Tesla, and I was in Ontario, I would probably pull the trigger now on a new S and take advantage of the rebate.

That really is the debate for me. I bought a CPO Model S this year as a holdover until the 3....but the rebate and currency adjustment may put both cars in the same price range (within $10k of each other).

I worry about the MS feeling dated once the 3 comes out...and the MS does feel a tad too big for my preference.

With the new pricing, I watched a P100DL S inventory car drop from $185K to $168K and was contemplating trading in my S90D for it. What held me back is that when the new 2170 cells come out, I'm hoping the range on the S100D will be over 600km and the S P100DL will be over 550KM of range. This way I will have no problem skipping Superchargers on roadtrips. I hope the NDP and the Green Party look at renewing EV incentives for cars over $77K that the Liberals got rid of...thanks to Chevy for supporting the Liberal platform and making it almost impossible to buy a Bolt in Canada until next year.

Reactions: SmartElectric