Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Record set using NanoSafe batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JRP3

Hyperactive Member
Aug 20, 2007
Central New York
Love it:
Using Altairnano’s lithium-titanate battery packs, Berube's electric dragster, named the Current Eliminator V, achieved the electric vehicle world speed record at the Southwestern International Raceway in Tucson, AZ on Sunday, December 30th. Requirements for setting the world record include two record-breaking times on the same day under the same conditions. With runs rapidly decreasing in time, Berube began with 9.0 seconds, followed by 8.4, then 8.009 seconds. On the fourth run of the day, Berube broke into the 7-second category reaching 159.65 mph in 7.956 seconds. Dennis then assured his spot in the record book with a consecutive run of 7.963 while reaching 160.65 mph for the quarter mile.
News Library

More and more I'm thinking AltairNano is falling behind A123. The A123 cells have similar performance capability (as seen in the KillaCycle), but are already in mass production. I've also seen indications that the established Japanese cell makers are becoming interested in high-power lithium ion.

All this competition is great for us consumers, but could be painful for ALTI stockholders.

-Ryan

More and more I'm thinking AltairNano is falling behind A123.

The impression I've got is that A123 batteries are better suited for hybrids (including PHEVs) and Altair batteries are more suited to pure BEVs. Sorry, I don't remember the exact details. . . I think there should be room for both in the marketplace.

Keep in mind all of these have about half the energy density of standard Li-ion cells used in laptop computers.

I'm really not aware of much difference between A123 and AltairNano. They both have high power output, both have 10-minute-charge capability (though A123 doesn't advertise it), both are weaker than conventional Lithium Ion at energy density, and both have high cycle endurance.

The details maybe somewhat different, but from what I've seen, both are equally suited for high-performance BEVs and hybrids of any kind. The difference is that A123 is in production now, while AltairNano is handing out prototypes...

-Ryan

I guess my point is that Altair may be handing out prototypes, (or a fully realized product, we don't really know), but they are automotive sizes, right now, and Phoenix vehicles are driving around with them, right now. I don't know if I'd say A123 has any kind of lead in this race.

Now that's a battery!

These energy storage products are modular units designed to deliver in excess of 2MW of power and 300 KWh of energy per unit. Multiple units can be linked together in systems. Altairnano is working with AES to apply these systems at strategic points within the electrical grid to more efficiently deal with congestion, peak energy consumption and real-time fluctuations in electricity demand. The quick response time, extended life and power profile of the Altairnano batteries and energy storage products are well suited to improving performance in these areas with lower environmental impact than traditional generation solutions.
News Library

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw that show too. A whole battery building with vertical shelves of battery rows and giant busbars running through the building. It is as if you went to Costco and all these shelves were stocked with (interconnected) batteries.