TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Record set using NanoSafe batteries

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by JRP3, Dec 31, 2007.

1. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Love it:
    News Library

2. Kardax

Kardax Member

More and more I'm thinking AltairNano is falling behind A123. The A123 cells have similar performance capability (as seen in the KillaCycle), but are already in mass production. I've also seen indications that the established Japanese cell makers are becoming interested in high-power lithium ion.

All this competition is great for us consumers, but could be painful for ALTI stockholders.

-Ryan

3. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

The impression I've got is that A123 batteries are better suited for hybrids (including PHEVs) and Altair batteries are more suited to pure BEVs. Sorry, I don't remember the exact details. . . I think there should be room for both in the marketplace.

Keep in mind all of these have about half the energy density of standard Li-ion cells used in laptop computers.

4. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I thought the NanoSafe's had A123 beat on charge cycles? Altair is claiming 10,000-15,000 full cycles.

5. Kardax

Kardax Member

I'm really not aware of much difference between A123 and AltairNano. They both have high power output, both have 10-minute-charge capability (though A123 doesn't advertise it), both are weaker than conventional Lithium Ion at energy density, and both have high cycle endurance.

The details maybe somewhat different, but from what I've seen, both are equally suited for high-performance BEVs and hybrids of any kind. The difference is that A123 is in production now, while AltairNano is handing out prototypes...

-Ryan

6. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Is A123 selling automotive/BEV sized batteries?

7. Kardax

Kardax Member

Not that I know of, but then... nobody's making conventional lithium ion in automotive size and Tesla made it work anyway :)

-Ryan

8. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I guess my point is that Altair may be handing out prototypes, (or a fully realized product, we don't really know), but they are automotive sizes, right now, and Phoenix vehicles are driving around with them, right now. I don't know if I'd say A123 has any kind of lead in this race.

9. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

#9 JRP3, Jan 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
    Now that's a battery!

News Library

10. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

11. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Yeah but that's old school battery technology :wink:
    I actually think I saw that setup featured on a battery program on the history channel. Pretty impressive.

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yeah, I saw that show too. A whole battery building with vertical shelves of battery rows and giant busbars running through the building. It is as if you went to Costco and all these shelves were stocked with (interconnected) batteries.

13. SByer

SByer '08 #383

Not a happy place for a squirrel to be running around loose in.
    Wonder what the building security is going to be like?