Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Repeater Side Cameras installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick update: my cameras got replaced under warranty. No cost for me. The service manager took care of it after I explained the issue and showed him. Maybe the guys reviewing the initial assessment don't know or understand the details so for them one is asking for an upgrade

Reactions: beachmiles
Quick update: my cameras got replaced under warranty. No cost for me. The service manager took care of it after I explained the issue and showed him. Maybe the guys reviewing the initial assessment don't know or understand the details so for them one is asking for an upgrade

At the Sterling or Tyco Rd SC location? I submitted a case through the app and was told the same as everyone else, so I cancelled the appointment. Both my cameras are terrible at night, and basically the feature is useless to me.

The car is at Tyco. you need to talk with the manager. the guys prescreening the services dont seem to know what they are talking about. before the appointment I talked with the representative 3 times but still he denied to put it under warranty. the manager understand and did right away.

Reactions: BreatheEasier
Screenshot_20220323-130509.jpg

I just tried to set a scheduled visit for it. The visit got canceled. Then I got a chat message from Tesla stating they wanted dates and times when the camera(s) failed. I stayed I didn’t have the days and times written down. I went into the service log but it either only keeps two days history or the days prior to two days ago we’re cleared somehow. They stated to reschedule and include the days and times. Which I obviously don’t have. So I guess I wait for it to fail again and take photos of the log next time; and before it disappears.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
… the fit and finish sucks on some of these cars and some clips on inside he said were missing.

I found a 1-1/2 in or so bolt between the door and the quarter panel. You could see it when the door was opened. I tried to get it out but the head was behind a lip in the metal and there was no way to grab it and pull it out so I pushed it back since it was in the way of the door opening fully and scheduled service. I checked all the visible bolts I could around the area and none were missing. So the question is where did this phantom bolt come loose from???

Can you post a copy of your invoice (without your personal info) showing that your service center considered this a warranty issue?

Could help the rest of us who continue to be rebuffed and quoted over $500 for replacement.

The car was on service for other stuff. but here is the image of the section related to the cameras:
1648153942998.png

When I made the appointment they did not want to cover it. I insisted and had a couple of phone calls, and still the representative refused. I talked to the manager when I was dropping the car. The manager agreed this was under warranty right away.

Last edited:
I just got my right repeater replaced as good will warranty as well.

I was actually able to get video footage of the camera going on and out which apparently was enough to get it done.

Interesting to note is that replacement cameras come with the black (non gloss) trim attached. So if you have a chrome car like mine they have to “peel off” the black trim. Remove the 3M adhesive with actual goo gone. Apply new 3M and then put a new chrome piece on.

Side note the chrome trim piece doesn’t have the Tesla logo stamped on it like my original chrome one still on the left side. It’s also basically impossible to remove the old one without damaging it and apply to the new camera.

The left camera looks like it might be going out too. It flickers sometimes. Where the right one would go out for a while, come back in, go back out.

As others have mentioned the new repeater cameras are leaps and bounds improved even over the ones on my 18 mth old car they just replaced. Not only do you not have the repeater blinking glare; but it’s just plain sharper. The left repeater and even the rear camera now look grainy / blurry in comparison. Even on bright daylight.

Even the $500 mobile service will charge if you want to buy and have installed both cameras is worth wild; especially if they won’t warranty one or both - you know since they don’t consider the glare leakage an actual defect. The new cameras are just a new replacement part.

Honestly $500 for the two parts and install is a bargain compared to what Audi charged we to swap out cameras on my old A7.

Reactions: Durzel
Can someone post pics of the new repeater camera screen?
My 2021 MY LR is in for service for a fried onboard charger
I mentioned the repeater camera shows orange instead of red but I don’t have the flickering issue when turn signals are on.
The 2017 loaner they gave me has horrible flickering so now I know what you all mean.
Question is whether the new new cameras fix color and sharpness as well/is it worthwhile.
They haven’t quoted me a price so I’m hoping they just replace it without charging me. But they better not replace it and charge me without giving a quote especially if it’s not much of a difference anyway for me.

Can someone post pics of the new repeater camera screen?
My 2021 MY LR is in for service for a fried onboard charger
I mentioned the repeater camera shows orange instead of red but I don’t have the flickering issue when turn signals are on.
The 2017 loaner they gave me has horrible flickering so now I know what you all mean.
Question is whether the new new cameras fix color and sharpness as well/is it worthwhile.
They haven’t quoted me a price so I’m hoping they just replace it without charging me. But they better not replace it and charge me without giving a quote especially if it’s not much of a difference anyway for me.
I have a 2022 Model Y. The images produced by front and side views are supposed to be a bit orangish in color due to them operating in a color space (google it…computer graphics terminology) more suited to computer analysis as they are used heavily by the computer vision systems. The rear camera image’s color is more true to life. Perhaps it is not used as much in the computer vision system.

Images of model s camera output, orange tinted side views and more true to life rear view colors.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: whisperingshad
I have a 2022 Model Y. The images produced by front and side views are supposed to be a bit orangish in color due to them operating in a color space (google it…computer graphics terminology) more suited to computer analysis as they are used heavily by the computer vision systems. The rear camera image’s color is more true to life. Perhaps it is not used as much in the computer vision system.

Images of model s camera output, orange tinted side views and more true to life rear view colors.
True but OP said the new cameras corrected the color.
Was hoping for a picture so I can see quality/color myself.
I have the same cameras as you so it won’t be as much of an upgrade.
And I’m worried they may change it and charge me without even giving me a quote