Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New requirements on returning a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3 / Y, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
I notice on the tesla website that there is text now that says:

"If you haven't test driven the car, you can return it within 3 days of delivery."

Did it always say that? I dont want to return my car (I love my Model 3 Performance). Just wondering if that is a new requirement that just popped up, or if I somehow missed it before.

I thought that, before, we had 3 days to return the car (without a stipulation on having test driven). Am I mis remembering that?

I dont know... I went to my tesla account to schedule a service appointment, and noticed that the home page had changed from the last time I looked at it, which was likely 7 ish days ago. I also noticed that quote I referenced above there. I was just wondering if I missed it previously. I test drove on 11/27, ordered, and then took delivery on 12/04.

I planned on test driving some other cars to replace my BMW that was coming off lease, but drove the Model 3 performance and was sold immediately. I love the car! just seemed that the return notice / warning seemed a bit more prominent.

OP, not its not always been that way. Its a recent changed and was in the media. Elon says its due to such a high demand for test drives and not sufficient time to accommodate all those folks wanting to test drive. So he gave them an out. He also said it was due to high demand through the end of the year.

• Informative
Reactions: Drax and jjrandorin
Return Policy (currently as of this post)

· The standard return period is one (1) calendar day after delivery. If you have taken delivery of your vehicle without ever having taken a test or demo drive with us, we understand that you may want additional time to get to know your vehicle. In that case, you will have three (3) calendar days after delivery to return your vehicle, subject to the terms and conditions of this policy.

All car companies (in Ontario) do not have any return policy after delivery. (I do need references from other car companies to fact check this) All sales are final as far as ON dealers are concerned....
BUT Coming from the ON Gov page here is the law...
· https://www.ontario.ca/page/buying-new-or-used-vehicle-your-rights
There is no cooling-off period
  • Under Ontario law, there is no cooling-off period for motor vehicle contracts, so be sure of your decision before you sign. In most cases, the contract will be binding.
    Read and understand the contract and bill of sale before signing. If you don’t understand something, ask questions. You can also try to negotiate terms and ask for amendments to the contract.
But at least TESLA provides the ONE day (3 days if the client has never taken a test drive)

IMHO - This should not discourage anyone from test driving one... you should really try before you buy.

Reactions: CamDLux
Return Policy (currently as of this post)

· The standard return period is one (1) calendar day after delivery. If you have taken delivery of your vehicle without ever having taken a test or demo drive with us, we understand that you may want additional time to get to know your vehicle. In that case, you will have three (3) calendar days after delivery to return your vehicle, subject to the terms and conditions of this policy.

All car companies (in Ontario) do not have any return policy after delivery. (I do need references from other car companies to fact check this) All sales are final as far as ON dealers are concerned....
BUT Coming from the ON Gov page here is the law...
· https://www.ontario.ca/page/buying-new-or-used-vehicle-your-rights
There is no cooling-off period
  • Under Ontario law, there is no cooling-off period for motor vehicle contracts, so be sure of your decision before you sign. In most cases, the contract will be binding.
    Read and understand the contract and bill of sale before signing. If you don’t understand something, ask questions. You can also try to negotiate terms and ask for amendments to the contract.
But at least TESLA provides the ONE day (3 days if the client has never taken a test drive)

IMHO - This should not discourage anyone from test driving one... you should really try before you buy.

California does not have a cooling off period either, so even 1 day is better than pretty much any other car dealer.