Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Solar Install with 3 Powerwalls. Backup Question Again with diagram.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK. So I got my line diagram in today. Should this be sufficient in backing up 1 200a panel and being able to see both 200a panels and use while on the grid? The installer told me it would, but just wanting to get a second opinion. Basically, I want to be able to see all loads on the app, and be able to use the powerwall to power everything in my house while on the grid. I understand that off grid I will be limited to 1 200a backup panel.
Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 12-15-10 CFSS_LD_Rouse_Heather_21Aug23.pdf.png

OK. So I got my line diagram in today. Should this be sufficient in backing up 1 200a panel and being able to see both 200a panels and use while on the grid? The installer told me it would, but just wanting to get a second opinion. Basically, I want to be able to see all loads on the app, and be able to use the powerwall to power everything in my house while on the grid. I understand that off grid I will be limited to 1 200a backup panel.
View attachment 968148
Question as I approach scheduling for next month here - who produced this excellent diagram? you or Tesla? Would you be willing to share the actual file with me, for me to manipulate for my setup? I am going to need to move about 4-6 circuits over (or Tesla will have to) to the backup panel, from my other 200A panel. But I'd like to have an actual diagram and the format of this looks perfect. Thanks for any input you could provide.

Question as I approach scheduling for next month here - who produced this excellent diagram? you or Tesla? Would you be willing to share the actual file with me, for me to manipulate for my setup? I am going to need to move about 4-6 circuits over (or Tesla will have to) to the backup panel, from my other 200A panel. But I'd like to have an actual diagram and the format of this looks perfect. Thanks for any input you could provide.
My installer did the diagram. All I got was the PDF. Feel free to download and use a editor.

To be able to monitor and power the non-backed up loads via the PW they need to install CTs to monitor the power consumption of those loads. CTs are not typically shown on the plans so you need to make sure that those will be installed. The CTs would need to be installed in your other 200A panel and on any loads that remain in the 200A panel in the diagram.

I would also make sure to clarify whether they are moving all the loads in the 200A panel to the backup panel or are they leaving loads in the 200A panel.

It's a little blurry but it looks like they are using a 90A breaker between your 200A panel in the GW and between the GW and your backed up loads panel. They may have done this due to limitations on the maximum breaker size for you current 200A panel, but I would ask for the rational and understand what limitations this might cause for any future expansion.

Reactions: cliftonrouse
To be able to monitor and power the non-backed up loads via the PW they need to install CTs to monitor the power consumption of those loads. CTs are not typically shown on the plans so you need to make sure that those will be installed. The CTs would need to be installed in your other 200A panel and on any loads that remain in the 200A panel in the diagram.

I would also make sure to clarify whether they are moving all the loads in the 200A panel to the backup panel or are they leaving loads in the 200A panel.

It's a little blurry but it looks like they are using a 90A breaker between your 200A panel in the GW and between the GW and your backed up loads panel. They may have done this due to limitations on the maximum breaker size for you current 200A panel, but I would ask for the rational and understand what limitations this might cause for any future expansion.
It looks like 2 60a breakers to me in this diagram. I uploaded one zoomed in a little better. According to them. They are moving all the loads we want backed up to one 200a panel. Moving some non backed up breakers to the other panel. It is so confusing to me. I will be aware of the CT's. Here are my two 200a panels as well. I want to back up everything but upstairs AC pretty much.
01b2d1576b3f7249000822ea7428a044e0cd0439e6.jpg
0146168a221ffd5f46ecc180eb410ba5d530176b6e.jpg
01667550349e7751c00774cc846153ff7237f3fdb2.jpg
Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 17-49-02 CFSS_LD_Rouse_Heather_21Aug23.pdf.png

Even better if you can put the CT directly behind the meter so the Gateway sees everything in all panels.

They have both wired and wireless CTs. They all communicate back to the Gateway. It'll be interesting to see how they connect the Gateway to the Powerwalls if they're on opposite sides of the house.
They told me they were going to run a wire. I just wasn't sure if the gateway would be in the garage or by the meters. I will update that when they do the install. Waiting on permits now.