Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New SunTek PPF Made for Vulnerable Areas and Tough Conditions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EDITOR’S NOTE: This is a sponsored post from Eastman Performance Films, respected worldwide as a producer of energy solutions including professional-grade window films, industrial coatings, adhesives, and laminates.

If you haven’t yet had paint protection film installed, you’re in luck. SunTek PPF Ultra Defense rolled out this spring, and it’s the first to combine two sought-after features in a single product: added thickness for more impact resistance and hydrophobic technology to combat stains and extend durability.

The Protection Your Tesla Deserves

SunTek PPF Ultra Defense is engineered for harsh climates and tough road conditions. It’s recommended to protect against high-impact damage in vulnerable areas: rocker panels, fenders, hoods, bumpers and doors. If you drive on gravel or worry about chips, you’ll also appreciate that Ultra Defense eliminates the need for installation of two separate film products to gain a higher level of protection.

A Full Package of Advanced Features

SunTek PPF Ultra Defense has the highest level of impact resistance for a clear, self-healing paint protection film available in the market today. It offers these top-of-the-line benefits:

HydroResistTM technology for durability, easy cleaning, and resistance to stains and bird droppings Ability to self-heal scratches and swirl marks with heat from an engine or the sunOutstanding optical clarity that won’t dull the gloss and color of Tesla finishes  A manufacturer’s 10-year limited warranty

How This Innovation Happened

SunTek doesn’t buy paint protection film from factories and add a brand. SunTek PPF products are scientifically formulated and rigorously manufactured to meet evolving demands. This means learning about consumer concerns and what’s missing in the market, and answering those needs with powerful innovations that help provide real solutions – such as SunTek PPF Ultra Defense.

Where to Get SunTek PPF Ultra Defense

SunTek PPF Ultra Defense is available through a dealer network that reaches across Canada and the U.S. SunTek provides expert tech support, a proprietary film cutting system called TruCut™ and more to help dealers treat your Tesla right, with the most professional PPF installation results possible. Visit suntekfilms.com/where to locate a SunTek PPF dealer near you.

Questions? Ask now or learn more here.

Ready to protect your Tesla? Find a SunTek Dealer

Check out SunTek  on Facebook and Instagram

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
  1. I am in Montreal, home of North America’s worst road conditions (road salt, construction and potholes) that destroy our Tesla’s.

I am also a proud longtime Suntek PPF dealer, very excited about the new product.

Too bad I got my Standard plus a few months ago and put Suntek Ultra, still a great PPF !

This is one I did a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• 81878904-9F50-4B6D-9052-88DD578C6949.jpeg
    81878904-9F50-4B6D-9052-88DD578C6949.jpeg
    541.9 KB · Views: 116
  1. I am in Montreal, home of North America’s worst road conditions (road salt, construction and potholes) that destroy our Tesla’s.
I am also a proud longtime Suntek PPF dealer, very excited about the new product.

Too bad I got my Standard plus a few months ago and put Suntek Ultra, still a great PPF !

This is one I did a few weeks ago.

You're still in great shape with our Ultra! You are in a tough environment, Canada in general is a very pro PPF market with the weather conditions. Thanks for your support!

Yes got the PM.

It's not that I've had a bad experience with it. It made a beautiful finish on the car and has protected from numerous abrasions which could have been much worse. It's also thinner than Xpel so is easier to install for a n00b than Xpel.

I did the install myself. DIY wrap

But testing it with scratches in tests similar on Youtube shows that it is not self-healing, at least that version made in 2015.

Yes got the PM.

It's not that I've had a bad experience with it. It made a beautiful finish on the car and has protected from numerous abrasions which could have been much worse. It's also thinner than Xpel so is easier to install for a n00b than Xpel.

But testing it with scratches in tests similar on Youtube shows that it is not self-healing, at least that version made in 2015.

Yes got the PM.

Hi Rooter,

There are a few things here I would like to address. Our product (even in 2015) is an 8 mil construction, almost identical to XPEL. It is a common misconception that our PPF is "thinner".

Our PPFC product is what was out in 2015 and was indeed self healing, we made a product (No longer) called PPFS that was not truly self healing but it was sold internationally. It would have been extremely rare for you to have received this domestically.

You said you did the install yourself, where did you buy the film? If you did not have the film installed by a SunTek Dealer you may have been misled on the product your purchased.

Reactions: Goodtohave
SunTek this was years ago and I don't remember where I bought it. But it was definitely thinner than Xpel because I'd started with Xpel and it was unworkable for me.

And no it was not self-healing because I tested it. 3M's Scotch??? has worked fine for me.

Also, my Avery brushed black was rated for only about two years, but it still looks fine.

And whoever's asking for instructions, I am too lazy to type up a full tutorial to spoon-feed one Millenneal, just as you are too heavy-butt frickin' lazy to switch over to Youtube like I suggested and had to do on my own motivation.

Last edited:
As a Suntek dealer and former Xpel I can tell you the thickness is the same.

Still pretty sure someone bait and switched you, as a Suntek dealer I don’t even think we are allowed to resell it.

I used to work for Madico (tint manufacturer) and would see shops using cheaper products in our boxes more then you would think.

I used to joke if the box of tint looks worn out that is a bad sign....:)

I am still giving you props for doing it yourself, outside as well, you were seriously manhandling that film....

No fear! Love it

Well that area was worst-case for the PPF. But it turned out fine. I don't mind showing my problems like some ppl do. Others judging me is their problem, most especially when they don't dare show themselves doing it.

Worst for the Avery was getting it over the rear hatch without distortion. That is nearly impossible but I managed to do it. And I wrapped the wheels with black chrome, which I'll bet no one else dared to do.

I am considering getting PPF on my car and I was wondering if anyone can point me to a unbiased study that shows a comparison between SunTek and XPel. Just trying to figure out which one is better.

Is SunTek Ultra Defense the replacement of the existing SunTek PPF product or something that costs extra. Is the optical clarity the same?

Last edited:
I wouldn’t look to the internet for your answer...

Go to a local installer for both products and look at the work, then decide who you want to do your work. Who you trust with your car and who you feel confident will stand behind their work.

PPF is there to get damaged by rocks and debris to save your paint. Over time Some needs to be replaced.

Not something you put on and forget about for the life of the car.

If you live in a place with bad roads like I do it is a sacrificial product.

Reactions: SunTek
I am considering getting PPF on my car and I was wondering if anyone can point me to a unbiased study that shows a comparison between SunTek and XPel. Just trying to figure out which one is better.

Is SunTek Ultra Defense the replacement of the existing SunTek PPF product or something that costs extra. Is the optical clarity the same?

Our standard PPF C (5 year film) and PPF Ultra (10 year film) are our 2 staple products and are not going anywhere.

Ultra Defense is a specialty film designed for those in harsh weather environments (Alberta, Colorado, etc) or those who take their vehicle through extreme circumstances (offroading, track racing).

Goodtohave has some great points on this thread. I can say we stand behind our product as a manufacturer and feel very confident in our team of engineers that put our film through tests to ensure it's built to last. However, I would second his point - go check out a few shops, meet the installers, ask questions, check out their work if they have social media. You will get a pretty good feel for their skill level.

If you want to know what SunTek dealers are in your area we do have a dealer locator online.

Our standard PPF C (5 year film) and PPF Ultra (10 year film) are our 2 staple products and are not going anywhere.

Ultra Defense is a specialty film designed for those in harsh weather environments (Alberta, Colorado, etc) or those who take their vehicle through extreme circumstances (offroading, track racing).

Goodtohave has some great points on this thread. I can say we stand behind our product as a manufacturer and feel very confident in our team of engineers that put our film through tests to ensure it's built to last. However, I would second his point - go check out a few shops, meet the installers, ask questions, check out their work if they have social media. You will get a pretty good feel for their skill level.

If you want to know what SunTek dealers are in your area we do have a dealer locator online.

The the clarity between Ultra Defense and Ultra the same? Would it make sense to use Ultra Defense for the front bumper and hood and Ultra for the rest of the car? Would the paint color look different between the two films?

The the clarity between Ultra Defense and Ultra the same? Would it make sense to use Ultra Defense for the front bumper and hood and Ultra for the rest of the car? Would the paint color look different between the two films?

Yes, clarity is the same and you're exactly right - Ultra Defense is perfect for high impact areas. We did a Porsche video recently with Ultra Defense on the bumper/hood/rockers and quarters and Ultra everywhere else. You could not tell a difference between the panels. If you're curious the video is here:

• Helpful
Reactions: PhilDavid