TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Tesla Battery Patent?

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by lorih, Sep 16, 2013.

1. lorih

lorih Member

Saw this today

Tesla Motors Gains 2% on Potential Battery Boost - Stocks To Watch - Barrons.com

This could potentially go into the investors section, because the first article by this analyst ups the TSLA target price from 150 to 225, but I decided to search to see if there was any basis for his analysis, and I found this which contains patent info which was supposed to be from July 2013

http://www.streetinsider.com/Analyst+Comments/Tesla+(TSLA)+to+Develop+Hybrid+Battery+Packs+that+Could+Increase+Range+40%25+-+Analyst/8689599.html

Anyone have more background info on this?

2. Zextraterrestrial

I expect something like this. they have patents similar to this from last year or before.
    Imagine using a 25-50C battery and >100C for peaks, totally unnecessary, but would kill the 70 -> 100 mph from current outputs if the ESC and motor could handle it

3. lorih

lorih Member

Please correct me, but are you saying it would increase range, but turn a Tesla into some of the other silly EV's that max out at 70 mph? (yuck! That would be awful!)

If so, do you think this was patent is just a patent to 'protect IP' from competitors?

4. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

#4 stopcrazypp, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    Once again, TMC is way ahead of analysts. The hybrid battery patents are not news. Tesla had made one public since February 2012 and the hybrid battery patents have been a strong discussion point during speculation for the June 20th event:
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/17416-June-20th-Speculation/page6?p=353246&viewfull=1#post353246

Some people thought Tesla would announce an aluminum-air battery for the frunk, utilizing the patents in question. It turned out it was battery swapping.

Keep in mind that Straubel has said they are on track for a 20% improvement on the Model S pack by the time Gen III is out, using conventional tech.

Hybrid batteries are much further out (2020 at the earliest) because the rechargeable variant is not ready for commercial use yet (cycle life way too low). And the potential for improvement is much higher than 30% (think multiply times, AKA 100%, 200%, 300%).

5. lorih

lorih Member

Yup, seen that again and again, but I just didn't really know where to start on the battery threads. I knew someone would set me straight if I just asked here.

Thanks, to both of you for the quick replies

:smile:

6. Zextraterrestrial

no, increase range due to the high storage battery but improve performance also due to a better energy output battery.
    The higher storage battery charges the high output battery or capacitors or something. only guessing really but have seen the patent overviews

7. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

That patent is available to view and fun to see...now if I can just remember what thread I saw that in....help!

8. Zextraterrestrial

I have a link in my bookmarks.....on another computer..sorry. but search here it is somewhere.

here: TESLA MOTORS, INC. - Patent applications