Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Battery Patent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lorih

May 12, 2013
Saw this today

Tesla Motors Gains 2% on Potential Battery Boost - Stocks To Watch - Barrons.com

This could potentially go into the investors section, because the first article by this analyst ups the TSLA target price from 150 to 225, but I decided to search to see if there was any basis for his analysis, and I found this which contains patent info which was supposed to be from July 2013

http://www.streetinsider.com/Analyst+Comments/Tesla+(TSLA)+to+Develop+Hybrid+Battery+Packs+that+Could+Increase+Range+40%25+-+Analyst/8689599.html

Anyone have more background info on this?

Please correct me, but are you saying it would increase range, but turn a Tesla into some of the other silly EV's that max out at 70 mph? (yuck! That would be awful!)

If so, do you think this was patent is just a patent to 'protect IP' from competitors?

Once again, TMC is way ahead of analysts. The hybrid battery patents are not news. Tesla had made one public since February 2012 and the hybrid battery patents have been a strong discussion point during speculation for the June 20th event:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...culation/page6?p=353246&viewfull=1#post353246

Some people thought Tesla would announce an aluminum-air battery for the frunk, utilizing the patents in question. It turned out it was battery swapping.

Keep in mind that Straubel has said they are on track for a 20% improvement on the Model S pack by the time Gen III is out, using conventional tech.

Hybrid batteries are much further out (2020 at the earliest) because the rechargeable variant is not ready for commercial use yet (cycle life way too low). And the potential for improvement is much higher than 30% (think multiply times, AKA 100%, 200%, 300%).

Last edited:
Please correct me, but are you saying it would increase range, but turn a Tesla into some of the other silly EV's that max out at 70 mph? (yuck! That would be awful!)

If so, do you think this was patent is just a patent to 'protect IP' from competitors?

no, increase range due to the high storage battery but improve performance also due to a better energy output battery.
The higher storage battery charges the high output battery or capacitors or something. only guessing really but have seen the patent overviews