Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Solar & Power Wall Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered from the Tesla website a few days ago. Large system with 3 power walls (11.7KWh)

I uploaded all the pictures they requested and my electricity usage for the last 12 months. No other contact from Tesla yet. Not sure what to expect now. How long does it usually take for them to contact the buyer?

Do they arrange the financing or is this something I need to do myself?

Any insight into the process would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Alex

It took them over a month to get back to us. Most of California (with 14% of the US population) is pissed off at having their power cut off to prevent fires. As a result Tesla is swamped with inquiries for solar + powerwalls. And interest is up even more because the new Solarglass roofs are about to ship in California.

After reviewing the power bills, we got our quote a month later and hit the order button. The paperwork said the install would commence in 3 to 6 months so hopefully we will be online by June. Tesla's site survey is scheduled for the Jan 14.

We are paying it ourselves so I have no idea on financing. Sorry.

Oh, I forgot to add my input on the financing question. At least in my case, they (tesla) have an agreement with solar financing companies they can provide you with. So, OP you can wait till you get to that point and apply with the company they work with, or you can look for outside financing.

Im going to finance my 2 powerwalls for simplicity sake, and then pay it off after 3-4 months. There is no pre payment penalty in the company they referred me to. I originally was planing on financing because I did not want to create more income this year to pay cash for the PWs, but I wanted them done in this year for the full tax credit. I was going to finance it to pay for it this year, then move some things around to pay off the financing in a few months.

Now that my install is scheduled the beginning of next year, I am still going with my plan, simply because it gives me a few months to execute, even though I have to pay a few months worth of interest.

@jboy210 , I am thinking the lead time in florida might be different than the lead time in california. The lead time in southern california is different than the lead time in nor cal, even. If OP was in Nor Cal where you are, I would have said "expect it to take 6-8 months", due to the extreme interest, backlog, and number of people with the means to pay for it one way or another (cash, HELOC for houses worth quite a bit of money, etc).

@jjrandoring Thanks for the information. Really appreciate it.

I have my current mortgage with Tropical Financial Credit Union here in Miami. They also financed my two Teslas. I'm thinking it would be a possibility to go to them again, but since I don't have any paperwork yet, I'm going to have wait to make a decision based on what Tesla provides.

Thanks,
Alex

@jjrandoring Thanks for the information. Really appreciate it.

I have my current mortgage with Tropical Financial Credit Union here in Miami. They also financed my two Teslas. I'm thinking it would be a possibility to go to them again, but since I don't have any paperwork yet, I'm going to have wait to make a decision based on what Tesla provides.

Thanks,
Alex

No problem! You have plenty of time, actually, so I would not worry about it much. The process for me (keep in mind that I am adding 2 powerwalls to existing solar... my solar process was similar but happened in 2015).

1. Decide to really look into 2 Powerwalls to go with my solar, after being JUST outside of a "Power Shut off" zone for Southern Cal Edison during this fire season. End of September 2019. Request call back info from Tesla. Tesla Energy salesperson (tesla person 1) calls me back. Also get 2 other quotes from third party installers.

2. Decide to go with Tesla directly even though no SGIP rebate availability due to the fact that third party installers pricing basically had them absorbing the entire SGIP rebate, so no benefit in going third party. Oct 1 2019. Place order online

3. After order, Tesla person 2 (different person) calls me back in 2 days. Asks if I want to perform a self survey with pictures, or wanted to schedule someone to come out. Person coming out would take longer, and I was comfortable with taking pics for self survey. Take pics and upload. Approx October 7th or so.

4. Tesla Person 2 sends me information about financing, etc. I review and decide to finance vs pay cash. I apply online with company they send me, and receive instant approval via the companies online portal. Forward this approval to tesla person 2, who states he can also see it online in my account.

5. Nothing happens for a week or so, I push for more information, Tesla person 2 sends me an email telling me they are transferring my account to tesla person #3 who "handles my area and Utility". Tesla person #3 is very uncommunicative to emailed or called questions. Mid October.

6. Get really frustrated, no response to questions etc from Tesla person #3, contemplate escalation within tesla somehow, figure out that there is really no mechanism for that. Leave voicemail #3-4 stating that I am frustrated with lack of response (polite, but firm). Finally receive call back from Tesla Person 3 stating apology, was on vacation, then sick, etc. Tesla office also moved from one location to another, and delayed filing for my permits for almost a month. (mid november). Permit not filed for until Nov 18th. Tesla person #3 becomes much more responsive to questions etc after our discussion.

7. City approves permit on Dec 9th (fairly fast for government). Contacted Tesla person #3 who pushed to scheduling department to try to get me in this year. No dice, earliest scheduled date is Jan 6th. Take this date.

8. Send email and have phone conversation with Tesla person 3 regarding getting the 4 percent difference refunded due to the scheduling issue being teslas and not mine. Tesla person 3 checks on it, and responds to me that tesla would be able to do this for me, but it will be after install and full qualification as a refund of the difference.

Currently scheduled for Jan 6th install, Southern California (Temecula CA).

Last edited:
As many have said be prepared for the wait. If you're like me I'm not used to the type of "waiting" that happens with this purchase so my best advise is be patient and work on the things that you can control. Try to keep in mind that it's a process and that it's not as easy as you'd think it would be. Many layers to it and mostly because it has to be very specifically engineered and diagramed to pass your local planning department (they're never in a hurry) and your electric company (they lose money in the deal). Scheduling also takes time as they potentially are dealing with sub-contractors as well as sourcing the panels and power walls. Expect 3-4 months for the entire process.

Been waiting for a tweet response to Solar for months. And I'm on our HOA's Solar Committee, 122 condos. Nothing to date. Looking at 2020 of course but still, would be nice to get even just a simple "We have received your request and will respond further as soon as feasible". Dead silence is frustrating.