Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tire Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering the original tires on most Tesla's do not last very long, would you sacrifice range to get extended tire life?
Original tires on ANY new vehicle don’t last long, generally speaking EV’s require a XL tire due to weight I would be certain the proper type of tire is used ( weight and speed rating) and then purchase what best suits your needs for how you use the vehicle

Upvote 0
Original tires on ANY new vehicle don’t last long, generally speaking EV’s require a XL tire due to weight I would be certain the proper type of tire is used ( weight and speed rating) and then purchase what best suits your needs for how you use the vehicle
Totally understand. I am an M3 owner, but I am also a tire engineer. I have taken on the new task of designing an EV tire, and I am looking for general consumer feedback from my fellow Tesla/EV owners.

Upvote 0
I would have guessed longer range and longer tire life go together and were both due to harder rubber with less grip and less rolling resistance. Is that not the case?
unfortunately they are not. Range is more defined by the rolling resistance, where as rubber compounding/tread design can which can impact both, can be adjusted to increase tire life. My question, as a Tesla owner is to see what others are looking for, but as an engineer who designs tires, I want to know what my fellow owners are looking for.

Upvote 0
Having just replaced my tires yesterday, I am fresh with thoughts on that. I put about 7-8k miles per year on my car.
I would prefer longer range. I want to go further between charges. At about the 3 year mark (for me anyway) the tires harden a bit and start to get louder with a harsher ride. I only got about 27k out of my last set, but they were getting louder and I am glad to be rolling on new rubber. But I would have liked to get 30k out of them.

Upvote 0
Totally understand. I am an M3 owner, but I am also a tire engineer. I have taken on the new task of designing an EV tire, and I am looking for general consumer feedback from my fellow Tesla/EV owners.
well now that I have ”the rest of the story” tire life would be my preference, however being an engineer you know torque kills tires and that’s one of the best qualities of most EV’s I think convincing people like myself to drive in chill mode and not pushing so hard on the go pedal is easier than engineering a new long range tire lol

Reactions: jrbright1
Upvote 0
I bought new tires last week, 34k on the original Conti tires. Did a lot of research on Tire Rack and chose Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3, their test report was good and it had a tire wear rating of 800, very good. Drove the car for 2 days and am impressed, CONSIDERABLY quieter, steering lighter and handled small road flaws much better. So went out to look at them yesterday and the Pirellis I ordered are not what they installed! They installed Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus Elect. Tire Rack's rating is good for these tires too but the mileage rating is only 500 compared to the other one at 800. Disclaimer, only 4 days experience with the tires but they're very nice and supposed to support an EVs need for low rolling resistance. America's Tire who made the error fell all over themselves to correct their error but I'm sticking with these even if they don't last as long. I feel sure they'll outlast the Contis. I'd recommend anyone to consider them if shopping. Oh, Model 3 AWD.

Reactions: jrbright1
Upvote 0
I bought new tires last week, 34k on the original Conti tires. Did a lot of research on Tire Rack and chose Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3, their test report was good and it had a tire wear rating of 800, very good. Drove the car for 2 days and am impressed, CONSIDERABLY quieter, steering lighter and handled small road flaws much better. So went out to look at them yesterday and the Pirellis I ordered are not what they installed! They installed Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus Elect. Tire Rack's rating is good for these tires too but the mileage rating is only 500 compared to the other one at 800. Disclaimer, only 4 days experience with the tires but they're very nice and supposed to support an EVs need for low rolling resistance. America's Tire who made the error fell all over themselves to correct their error but I'm sticking with these even if they don't last as long. I feel sure they'll outlast the Contis. I'd recommend anyone to consider them if shopping. Oh, Model 3 AWD.
As and FYI, the Pirelli Elect has only been in he market place for a few months (most launched within the last 90 days). The mileage test rating of 500 is based on previous designs within their catalog and will adjust over time. The testing data used is based on consumer invoice data, and since the product has not been in the market place long enough, the data is young and incomplete. It should only get better as time goes on. BTW, America's Tire & the Tire Rack are now the same company. America's Tire purchased the Tire Rack at the end of 2020.

Upvote 0
My original Continentals on my 2021 Model Y are already in need of replacement at 20k miles. I have never experienced tire wear like this. I don’t drive it especially hard. Mostly highway. Are the tires really that bad or is it just the torque of the electric motors that is making them wear this fast? I am going to need a new set before winter. Thinking Michelins. Need to do some research.

Upvote 0
My original Continentals on my 2021 Model Y are already in need of replacement at 20k miles. I have never experienced tire wear like this. I don’t drive it especially hard. Mostly highway. Are the tires really that bad or is it just the torque of the electric motors that is making them wear this fast? I am going to need a new set before winter. Thinking Michelins. Need to do some research.
It's a combination of torque and suspension designed to give the performance the vehicle deserves. Combine that with the fact that no tire was specifically designed for EV, but catalog products, given a foam inter-liner that lowers the decibel rating. The Pirelli Elect and the Michelin Pilot Sport EV are the only ones. (I wasn't sure about the Michelin in my previous post, had to look it up). If you have the 20". 255/40-20 those are the two EV options. Michelin only makes the one size in their EV currently.

I appreciate all the feedback. I recently joined a team that is looking into building EV specific products, where I currently have been working on Summer high performance products. Sizes are very similar, just need to focus on what the consumer is looking for.

Upvote 0
....... just need to focus on what the consumer is looking for.
For me? Quiet ride.

I have been through the original Good Year's, Michelin MXM4's, Conti DWS06's and now Pirelli P7 Cinturato A/S II's which I run 6 March-October and Nokian WRG4's (2 sets) for winter. (I am amazed at the low rolling resistance of the Nokian's, as even with the reduced efficiency of winter driving the wh/km is not much worse than the yearly average, but you sure notice the firm ride. For winter safety supersedes noise, efficiency and range of course. )

The Pirelli's are VERY quiet, so I am very happy with this purchase. I honestly don't know the range differences between the above mentioned tires, but tire life I have records and a memory of. So to answer your original question tire life would be more important to me, because I really don't notice a huge difference in energy usage between them. And if energy usage was a huge priority for me I would do the speed limit, not push pedal to the metal, and not have a performance version :) Additionally, if I knew that the DWS06's were 10% more efficient I still wouldn't buy them again, the road noise was so bad I thought I had a wheel bearing going out. And they lasted only 30,000 km, so they would have to be 50% better rolling resistance than the others for them to make any financial sense buying them again, which is pretty much impossible. It was a bad experiment on my part buying them. But someone else may like their "bouncy" sporty handling. Meh.

I only have 2000 km on these Pirelli P7's so far, but if they last as long as the Michelin MXM4's (~50,000 km), and from the reviews of them I have read they most likely will, I will be buying them again, but they will probably just have the A/S III's or maybe IV's by then!

In order of importance

1. Quiet
2. Tire life
3. Ride quality
4. Price
5. efficiency
6. Grip (*there really are no bad tires among the top brands, just bad drivers using them)

Upvote 0
I have a 2019 MS 100D, bought that December. I have 40K on my original Goodyear Eagle Touring. The two rears look like they will go another 5K, but the front ones are ready for replacement; I plan to replace all 4 in Sept.
With that kind of mileage in 20 months, Obviously lots of freeway driving.
Tempting as it may be I rarely accelerate around corners or take off fast. I am content with enjoying all the other EV features.

Upvote 0