Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to EV from UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

IggyR35

Jan 2, 2022
UK
Hi all, new to this forum & EV.

I know you can't really compare ICE & EV, so what I'm looking for is your experience.
My current car is an Audi S4 B8.5, slightly modified running 450bhp & is due to be changed very soon.
My previous cars have been a few Subaru Impreza STi's ending up with the RB320, which I had from new & kept it for about 7 years.
I then had a Nissan GT-R R35, had it for a few years & slightly modified it again running 610bhp.

All my cars I have run on track, airfield days & Euro runs, but if I do get an EV it will be used for Euro runs but not on track.

I'm a total petrol head but see the advantages of EV with fuel, road tax, servicing going through the roof & of course the green aspect, (especially if I get solar panels at home for charging).

Just wondering if anyone has gone from the sort of ICE vehicles above & being a total petrol head and have made the move to EV. If so, how did you find it making the move?

I'm thinking of a 2020 Model 3 performance or a slightly older Model S ludicrous performance.

Great forum BTW, going to take me a few months of reading... 😆
Cheers
Iggy

Welcome to TMC.

This is a somewhat popular topic here. Here is one thread on a similar topic that you may find interesting:

Also, as you mentioned, TMC is a very large website, with several subforums. You may find the subforum for the UK and Ireland, which is also very active, interesting as well.

Reactions: tm1v2
Welcome to TMC.

This is a somewhat popular topic here. Here is one thread on a similar topic that you may find interesting:

Also, as you mentioned, TMC is a very large website, with several subforums. You may find the subforum for the UK and Ireland, which is also very active, interesting as well.

Thanks JJ 👍

Having done multiple track days myself in several ICE car, plus always enjoying an enthusiastic drive in the twisties, for me the biggest differences are in handling (batteries are heavy!) and immediacy of acceleration (it almost feels telepathic in a Tesla).

Comparing ICE to EV it’s definitely a bit mixed, however, the acceleration is quite addictive, and is something you use all the time while driving, so for me the EV driving experience wins out.

Reactions: tm1v2
I'm thinking of a 2020 Model 3 performance or a slightly older Model S ludicrous performance.
@IggyR35 Have you had a chance to drive those two cars? They feel very different, one might match your preferences a lot more than the other.

I have a 2021 3P and a 2013 S P85, and I've driven many newer S cars over the years as loaners including the P100D with Ludacris mode. Ludacris mode is very very quick, I can tell the difference for quick 2 lane road passing compared to my 3P which is already fantastic at that. The S is also smoother with the air suspension, and quieter (2018 S is quieter, not necessarily older ones like my 2013), and it's way better for hauling cargo. It's an excellent highway cruiser and family car.

However the S is big, and it feels big and numb to drive. The P100D especially feels heavy in the turns with its XL battery, dual motors, and soft suspension. The S can turn pretty well, I believe thanks to its weight distribution, but it's not an engaging experience.

The 3 feels a world apart. It's one of the most engaging and fun to drive EVs on the market, and I think it's right up there with the most fun 4 door cars of any propulsion means. I love tearing up twisty back roads in it, especially in Track Mode with the regen set extra strong and the nannies dialed down. The stock suspension tuning is not the best but it gets the job done and doesn't detract from the overall experience of how nimble and satisfying the car feels (at least compared to most other long range, largeish battery EVs). It's also frankly better than a P100D for those quick passing maneuvers because the 3P is smaller and just handles better.

My October 2021 build Model 3P is also plenty quiet and refined by my standards, I happily just cruise in it too, even though it's not quite as quiet and smooth as a P100D era Model S. Now I have read that the farther back you go in Model 3 builds, the louder (wind noise) and less refined (feeling of build quality inside) they get. (But still just as fast and fun!) I haven't been in an older Model 3 in a while, I can't give any firsthand comparison there, just when buying a used car be sure to test drive the exact car you are buying, make sure it feels right and satisfying to you. Do that for any car of course, not just a Model 3.

The Model S is a monumental car in the history of the automobile and a great car in its own right. But in my opinion, unless you're more into drag racing / straight line acceleration than turns, the Model 3 is far more of a driving enthusiast's car.

C43B83B9-F40F-4325-A13B-7D54E4CCE969.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: BigNick and tm1v2