Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Voice Recognition Fail?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the most recent update for my 2015 MS that has the new integrated messaging and voice commands. However, I find the new voice recognition to be poor. It has great difficulty recognizing common words normally used during navigation on the old software, for example it could not complete the verbatim "Drive to the nearest supercharger" or whatever the exact verbiage was on the release notes . Are we the beta testers again while Tesla figures out how to recognize the word "supercharger"?

dont. know whether I am procrastinating or not but I have a 4 days old Model S and I am on 2019.35.105 and cannot use voice commands....just wondering if I should upgrade...I want the other upgrades with 4.1 that I don't now have

Not clear if 4.2 has solved that VC issue or not....since it is new, take it to the store or SC and see what they say....

My VC works just fine, as does Regen and RR is 99% of new, on my 4.5 YO car....updates in the last year have been a mixed bag. I would trade all the games to get my 100+ Kw SuC speed back...

Last edited:
Yep, 2020.4.1.

Great. There is a thread down below I didn't see previously, complaining about the same thing and others.
I got the most recent update for my 2015 MS that has the new integrated messaging and voice commands. However, I find the new voice recognition to be poor. It has great difficulty recognizing common words normally used during navigation on the old software, for example it could not complete the verbatim "Drive to the nearest supercharger" or whatever the exact verbiage was on the release notes . Are we the beta testers again while Tesla figures out how to recognize the word "supercharger"?

I had the same issue... however, someone mentioned that with the new update, the command input procedure changed to "Touch" the button, let the button go ---> "speak" the command ... that's it! The hold the "button", speak and release... does not always work with nte new release.

I had the same issue... however, someone mentioned that with the new update, the command input procedure changed to "Touch" the button, let the button go ---> "speak" the command ... that's it! The hold the "button", speak and release... does not always work with nte new release.

On my prior version, it was touch button, wait for beep, speak, then hit button again when done. I've never done "hold to talk". Maybe the new version does not require "tap to end"? Will try.

Posted this in another thread but adding here as well...

I have an original Model S, and while it originally required the Press-and-Hold, at some point it started working with Press-Release and start talking, and it would figure out when you were done. At least that method worked fine for "Call X Y" from my contact list. After the December software update, this stopped working. It would sometimes just get a few words of my utterance, but usually none. This past week i tried Press-Hold and it sort of worked - it would show most or all of the speech, but still not make the call.

HERE IS WHAT WORKS on my older Model S - the voice response system seems pretty sluggish. Press & Hold - Make the utterance - KEEP HOLDING until you get the response at the bottom of the screen.

PRESS ... "Call X Y" ...wait until "Calling X Y" appears at the bottom then and only then RELEASE, and it makes the call.
PRESS ... "Set temperature to 68 degrees"...keep holding..."Temperature set to 68 degrees" appears at the bottom. RELEASE.

This method is working 100% for me. However, it may be different in your fancy new Model 3's and newer Model S's with a much faster processor in the MCU.

It seems if i press and hold while i talk, then release right as i'm done talking, it chops off the last word or two, like i released too early.
If i hold an extra second or two, it shows the full utterance, e.g. "Call X Y" but then it doesn't do it! The only way it works is to keep holding until it acknowledges the result of the command.

This is bad for two reasons:
1) I have to keep holding the button and steering - so don't do it if you need to turn.
2) I have to glance down at the display to make sure it acknowledged the command before I release.

Please reply and let me know if this works for anyone else that is still having problems.

The voice commands on my 2017 Model S were working flawlessly until the software update that adding messaging was released. After than, it does great for messaging, translating my words almost flawlessly; however, the voice commands no longer work ... at all! I can press the button and release, and half the time I won't even give me the beep that alerts me that it is listening. When it does beep, I can say, "Call John Doe" and nothing appears most of the time. It just goes back to whatever it was displaying before I pressed the button. I can do it again and it might recognize "Call John" on 1 attempt out of 3. One time it recognized the full "Call John Doe", but didn't make the call.

A command to "Navigate to Fremont, California", or any other destination just is not recognized.

The Jacksonville, Florida Service Center told me this was a known software issue to be fixed in a later release. It must be software, because I was there for them update me to HW3 and the problem still existed when they were done.

The voice commands on my 2017 Model S were working flawlessly until the software update that adding messaging was released. After than, it does great for messaging, translating my words almost flawlessly; however, the voice commands no longer work ... at all! I can press the button and release, and half the time I won't even give me the beep that alerts me that it is listening. When it does beep, I can say, "Call John Doe" and nothing appears most of the time. It just goes back to whatever it was displaying before I pressed the button. I can do it again and it might recognize "Call John" on 1 attempt out of 3. One time it recognized the full "Call John Doe", but didn't make the call.

A command to "Navigate to Fremont, California", or any other destination just is not recognized.

The Jacksonville, Florida Service Center told me this was a known software issue to be fixed in a later release. It must be software, because I was there for them update me to HW3 and the problem still existed when they were done.

You're probably on MCU1, so the problems you mention are common on MCU1. If you had opt'ed for the Infotainment Upgrade which includes the HW3 computer upgrade for $2500, then your voice commands would be functioning so much better as there is plenty of power in the MCU2... Plus you would get all of the cool new features that are only supported on MCU2.

As an update, my voice commands are working better now, for whatever reason. Press and wait for beep, speak, and let the machine figure out when I'm done. Sometimes the recognition is wrong but it figures out what and who I want, usually. Sometimes it doesn't hear me at all.

You're probably on MCU1, so the problems you mention are common on MCU1. If you had opt'ed for the Infotainment Upgrade which includes the HW3 computer upgrade for $2500, then your voice commands would be functioning so much better as there is plenty of power in the MCU2... Plus you would get all of the cool new features that are only supported on MCU2.
Sure, but like Zenzation my MCU 1 voice commands had been working flawlessly until a couple of updates ago. There is no functionality now. I keep expecting One of the recent updates to fix it, at least somewhat. The last several have done nothing. It’s definitely another alienating move against Tesla if it remains broken from now on.

I’m on 2020.12.11.5