Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Yorkers please help me understand the EVSE instalation incentives for 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Galve2000

May 20, 2013
NYC
I currently own a Volt which can only charge at 16 amps from a 240 outlet, but I'm having a clipper creak CS 100 installed in anticipation of my forthcoming Model S (with twin chargers) order particularly given that there are both Federal and NY State tax incentives at play here for EVSEs installed by 12.31.2013

I'm just a little confused on the math and weather or not I can take advantage of both the NY State and Federal tax incentives.

the Clipper Creek EVSE retails for USD 2,250 and the local electrician has agreed install a 100 amp breaker and run the necessary wiring to the garage for USD 1,200 so my out of pocket costs will total USD 3,450.00

the NY State incentive is 50% of the total cost up to a certain amount but I believe my total cost is less than the allowed max for personal installations, giving me full use of the 50% refund.

so I would be due a refund of $1725 from the State on NY

The Federal government allows a 30% discount on the costs up the $1000 for personal use. 30% of $3,450 would be $1035 so I would be entitled to the full $1000 refund.

I therefore calculate:

Initial Cost: $3,450
NY State refund: less $1,725
Federal refund: less $1,000
-------------------------------------------------
TOTAL COST: $$ 725

Seems almost too good to be true. Can anyone comment? I feel like I am not understanding/missing something here.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.