Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie pre purchase Model S question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My only decision now is do I spend £50k / £60k on a used MS or get a brand new M3 for the same money?

Some time until M3 arrives in the UK (might not be a problem for you). It will be arriving with CCS rapid charger port, not Supercharger socket. Tesla will convert Superchargers to provide both old-style and also new CCS plugs, but I very very much doubt it will be "all of them, by then". There are zero high speed CCS chargers in the UK at present, but they are coming "real soon now". In time M3 owners will have choice of any Tesla Supercharger, or any Rapid CCS charger. Nirvana :)

But Tesla say (i.e. do NOT put any money on it until actually arrives... ) that they will produce a CCS converted for MS / MX ... so those models, too, will be able to Rapid-charge at either existing (unmodified) Supercharger, or any 3rd party CCS sites.

If you will never Roadcharge (or for all your out-of-range trips you will be happy with destination-charging [hours, rather than minutes]) then either is fine. If you will need Roadcharge then my 2p would be on "Get an MS/MX for the next 2 - 3 years". If you will need Roadcharge often (e.g. high-mileage travelling salesman type job) then IMHO the only choice is MS/MX .

Reactions: .jg. and DJP31
Actually thinking about it, it’s a very easy decision: get a MS now with free supercharging, enjoy it for a few years then when’s it’s time to change cars look at what EVs are available at that time. Unlike ICE cars, the evolution of EVs will be a lot quicker, so who knows what the landscape will look like in 4 years time.

Reactions: .jg.
Actually thinking about it, it’s a very easy decision: get a MS now with free supercharging, enjoy it for a few years then when’s it’s time to change cars look at what EVs are available at that time. Unlike ICE cars, the evolution of EVs will be a lot quicker, so who knows what the landscape will look like in 4 years time.

Also saves having to wait anything up to a year for an M3. I'm not sure exactly how many alternatives there will be in 4 years time (maybe 2 or 3 contenders, but mostly SUVs or high end MS competitors like the Porsche Taycan) but they will all have to be bought brand new or nearly new! On the used market the choices will still be Tesla or the iPace.

get a MS now with free supercharging,

Free supercharging for 6 months only, and only for orders before 17-December (using a referral code) ...

... or make a private purchase of a 2nd hand Tesla which is old enough to have lifetime Supercharging (I presume that if you buy 2nd hand from Tesla themselves they don't pass on the Supercharging, regardless of what the original owner entitlement was)

Valid points guys - thanks.
The only reason I was thinking a used MS with free supercharging was that I would love to do a 3 week European road trip (been watching too many You Tube videos), taking in Euro Disney, Monaco, over to Barcelona, then on to Malaga via Valencia and back home via Bordeaux and Le Mans. The thought of doing that on free supercharging and destination chargers only is exciting. Planning hotel stays based on destination chargers will be fun.

But let’s not get ahead of myself, get the car first lol.

Valid points guys - thanks.
The only reason I was thinking a used MS with free supercharging was that I would love to do a 3 week European road trip (been watching too many You Tube videos), taking in Euro Disney, Monaco, over to Barcelona, then on to Malaga via Valencia and back home via Bordeaux and Le Mans. The thought of doing that on free supercharging and destination chargers only is exciting. Planning hotel stays based on destination chargers will be fun.

But let’s not get ahead of myself, get the car first lol.

That's possible, although you might need a few stops at third party chargers. Some French superchargers are located in car parks of Novotel and Mercure hotels. If you;re interested in things like Eurodisney, the supercharger at Novotel Poitiers happens to be next door to Futuroscope.

I would love to do a 3 week European road trip (been watching too many You Tube videos), taking in Euro Disney, Monaco, over to Barcelona, then on to Malaga via Valencia and back home via Bordeaux and Le Mans. The thought of doing that on free supercharging ...

Although if you had no destination chargers, 100% at Superchargers ... AND had to pay ... its 270-quid .... not exactly going to break the bank :)

In @thegruf 25MPG RS5 that would be 800-quid for fuel ....

3,325 miles, 50h47m driving plus 12h40m Supercharging ... obviously better than that with well positioned overnight destination charging.

TeslaTrip01.jpg TeslaTrip03.jpg TeslaTrip02.jpg

A Better Routeplanner