Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie Technical Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm looking to buy my 1st Tesla in the following months (Y or 3). I do a lot of reading on the topic but I have a few questions.

1. I read the cold weather may impact the regen braking (mostly if charging level is high). Does that mean that the "one pedal" driving isn't working? Or it only means the energy isn't used?

2. Also, with low temperature in Quebec (can reach -20 to -30 Fareinheit or worse but I don't want to think about it :) , I planned to heat the car and battery 30 minutes prior leaving. If the car isn't on charge and starts to heat (as shceduled in the app) but I stay home.... will the car heat indefinitely and drain the battery? Or is there a timer option in the app to stop heating the cabin after a while?

3. The frameless windows can be jammed in cold weather and cause issue opening the doors. What is the risk? The glass may break, the micro switch (or electric component) may break, or the door just won't open? Is this type of damage covered by the warranty?

Thanks a lot!

I would get the Y until the 3 catches up in features, and even then the Y is easier to get in and out of for both you and your stuff

1. One pedal driving isn't working

2. Heats indefinitely

3. Door won't open, as with any situation if you put enough force you can damage things, excessive force not covered

I'm in Quebec too. If you preheat the car you will have some regen because that also preheats the battery. It will get better as the battery warms up, as you drive. It's mostly a factor of battery temperature but charge level also affects it somewhat.

The app doesn't have a schedule to start heating. You can schedule a departure time in the car for charging but it's limited. Charging heats the battery so you start your morning with a warm battery, which means a happier car :)

For your windows, simple preventative maintenance will solve it. Buy some silicone lube, spray on a rag and spread it on the door and window seals, every year. Windows won't stick.

The Y is only better in winter because it has a heat pump. It will spend less energy heating the cabin. If you preheat the car, the battery heating will still happen and pull plenty of power anyway. Get the car you want, or the one you can afford, don't take your decision on one piece of hardware. Thigns constantly evolve

Reactions: SageBrush