Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next Gen Seat CPO - comfort for a full sized guy

Are the next gen seats uncomfortable for bigger people?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at some 2016 CPO model S options and the seat choices are all over the place but mostly are either next gen seats or the premium seats (although these models are usually more expensive).

I am about 5'9 and a bit over 200 lbs and from posts I've been reading many complain that the next gen seats are too narrow and may be really uncomfortable for a fuller sized guy. Unfortunately the model I was interested in has the next gen seats. Does anyone have some guidance? I could always wait longer or pay a bit more if the seats are going to be uncomfortable.

Thank you, LBE
PS- I can't find any cars around with next gen seats to try out (and with the current coronavirus situation I would doubt they want me in their car either).

I am looking at some 2016 CPO model S options and the seat choices are all over the place but mostly are either next gen seats or the premium seats (although these models are usually more expensive).

I am about 5'9 and a bit over 200 lbs and from posts I've been reading many complain that the next gen seats are too narrow and may be really uncomfortable for a fuller sized guy. Unfortunately the model I was interested in has the next gen seats. Does anyone have some guidance? I could always wait longer or pay a bit more if the seats are going to be uncomfortable.

Thank you, LBE
PS- I can't find any cars around with next gen seats to try out (and with the current coronavirus situation I would doubt they want me in their car either).

Welcome to TMC!

I'm similar height and found the Next Gen seats to be okay, but the Premium seats are much more comfortable (a lot). That's not to say that the Next Gens are uncomfortable; far from it, but they're nowhere near as cushy and supportive as the Premium seats. Also, if you take a 2016 with Premium seats, they'll have real leather, an advantage over even a brand new S.

Thank you so much. I wasn't worried about my height before but maybe I should be?
I was more concerned that the side bolsters would push in on me a bunch. I have a Volvo S90 which has really nice seats and I tried to overinflated the side bolsters to mimic it and it's ok but I've only driven a short commute that way. definitely can feel them but not sure if I would just get used to it.

Seems to be a consensus that the premium seats are more comfortable for most people. Since you've driven in both. How much more would you pay to have the premium seats in your car knowing that they are more comfortable? 2k 5k 10k? For some of these cars it ends up being a 5-10k difference

I'm 6' tall and roughly 250lbs (less before injury last year and then the subsequent 'Rona gym closures kept me from Crossfitting 6 days a week) and my Model S seats are plenty comfortable. The two things I notice when in a Model 3/Y is how much tighter the cockpit is, how much less comfortable the seats are and how much harsher the ride quality is. None of these are substantially different but enough that I'll be driving Model S cars for the foreseeable future.

Thank you so much Ostichsak. I agree that the 3/Y are noticeably smaller inside and a bit more utilitarian. Still a great car and my friend loves his Y. Keeps trying to talk me out of the S which I have been following for years.

So you have the next gen seats? I think they are now on generation 4 or more and it gets confusing. Certainly reassuring if a big guy is comfortable in the seats and doesn't seem worth extra 5k to get premium seats if that's the case.

Thank you so much Ostichsak. I agree that the 3/Y are noticeably smaller inside and a bit more utilitarian. Still a great car and my friend loves his Y. Keeps trying to talk me out of the S which I have been following for years.

So you have the next gen seats? I think they are now on generation 4 or more and it gets confusing. Certainly reassuring if a big guy is comfortable in the seats and doesn't seem worth extra 5k to get premium seats if that's the case.
Yes, our current three Model S cars have the "Next Gen seats" and our previous 2013 MS 60 had the first gen seats. The Next gen seats are FAR better and I love everything about them. I would really like to try a set of vented seats because those are the one feature I miss of our outgoing car that was a 2011 Kia so it's crazy to me that something so technologically advanced from 5 years later and cost six figures still didn't have them. I mean, our cars can drives ourselves but they couldn't possibly introduce little PC fans into the cushions of the seats like every other luxury manufacturer? I digress. I think the 3rd version of seats had adjustable headrests and offered ventilation as an option and the newest version (gen 4?) is an overall design change that made them thinner, lighter and (likely) cheaper to make. I believe though that after the very first version they got more comfortable and stayed roughly the same in that aspect up to the very newest version which I haven't heard enough comparison to say for sure.