Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nifty Model 3 Screen Emulator!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this week we got some tantalizing first glimpses of Tesla's V9 interface and I wanted to compare some of the new interfaces against the latest version that I have running in my model 3 (while sitting at my desk). Looked online and I couldn't really find anything to use as a baseline besides lots of isolated screenshots on blogs (I did find an old interactive screen mockup that had been put together using pre model 3 release demo release images)

So I thought I would hack something together that could be used as:

a) Quick reference for current and future releases
b) Easy way to track differences between releases
c) Intro for all those that haven't got their cars yet

See here:
Model 3 screen emulator menus new releases versions
https: // model3guru.com / model3-screen-emulator

Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 6.50.52 PM.png

Captured screens from my model 3 (i apologize these aren't that great - was shooting for MVP for this first iteration - i plan to retake them to see if i can get better quality - dealing with glare was #%$* )

Above is the link for version 0.1, please take a look and give any feedback. Will try and incorporate any feedback this weekend now that I'm free. I will update with v9 screen emulator once its pushed to my car!

So this week we got some tantalizing first glimpses of Tesla's V9 interface and I wanted to compare some of the new interfaces against the latest version that I have running in my model 3 (while sitting at my desk). Looked online and I couldn't really find anything to use as a baseline besides lots of isolated screenshots on blogs (I did find an old interactive screen mockup that had been put together using pre model 3 release demo release images)

So I thought I would hack something together that could be used as:

a) Quick reference for current and future releases
b) Easy way to track differences between releases
c) Intro for all those that haven't got their cars yet

See here:
Model 3 screen emulator menus new releases versions
https: // model3guru.com / model3-screen-emulator

View attachment 338984

Captured screens from my model 3 (i apologize these aren't that great - was shooting for MVP for this first iteration - i plan to retake them to see if i can get better quality - dealing with glare was #%$* )

Above is the link for version 0.1, please take a look and give any feedback. Will try and incorporate any feedback this weekend now that I'm free. I will update with v9 screen emulator once its pushed to my car!

Very cool :)
I tried it on my desktop but I'm sure the effect would be better on a tablet with a touch screen :)

Some addresses are visible in the nav screen - not sure if they are private locations, do you want to blur these?

The images took a few seconds to load the first time after each press, I don't know if it is possible to pre-cache these?

I just spent a while getting used to the interface only to realise I was training myself on the current (old) layout. I'm not going to get mine for another 18+ months so I guess I shouldn't be getting used to V9 either ;)

Very cool :)
I tried it on my desktop but I'm sure the effect would be better on a tablet with a touch screen :)

Some addresses are visible in the nav screen - not sure if they are private locations, do you want to blur these?

The images took a few seconds to load the first time after each press, I don't know if it is possible to pre-cache these?

I just spent a while getting used to the interface only to realise I was training myself on the current (old) layout. I'm not going to get mine for another 18+ months so I guess I shouldn't be getting used to V9 either ;)

Thanks for taking a look! I blurred out the private addresses ... what's there are public businesses so that's fine.

Definitely don't need any training as so much will change between now and 18 months. Hope it's still useful though, for seeing what new features are being released and how they work.

Pre-caching images is a good idea. Lemme see if i can do that quickly.

Last edited:
I've implemented the background caching and also reduced the sizes for the image files so its a much smoother experience with less bandwidth required.

Currently works best on a computer. Found some bugs on Internet Explorer and mobile browsers that i'm working through.

Nice job! This would be very handy for people who are receiving their car soon. Two things I notice. You didn't include the settings option (gear in upper right) that is available on many screens. The other thing I'm pretty sure about but not certain since I don't have v9. The ventilation adjustments are different on v9. I remember seeing a screen shot that was blurry but you could tell it was different. One of the early testers posted it on twitter. I'll link it here if I can find it again. Although I'm not sure how helpful it will be since it was blurry.

EDIT
Here's the link. It was actually a blurry video not a picture.

EDIT to the EDIT
Here's a clearer video he had on his feed.

Last edited:
Fixed the issue on Internet Explorer. Working now.
Just got to make it work better on mobile and should be good to go
Nice job! This would be very handy for people who are receiving their car soon. Two things I notice. You didn't include the settings option (gear in upper right) that is available on many screens. The other thing I'm pretty sure about but not certain since I don't have v9. The ventilation adjustments are different on v9. I remember seeing a screen shot that was blurry but you could tell it was different. One of the early testers posted it on twitter. I'll link it here if I can find it again. Although I'm not sure how helpful it will be since it was blurry.

EDIT
Here's the link. It was actually a blurry video not a picture.

EDIT to the EDIT
Here's a clearer video he had on his feed.

Thanks S3XY! I'm hoping to get v9 this week and I'll update so anyone can see it.
Will also take a look at what in those 'gear' icons to see if its worth including here.

Fixed the issue on Internet Explorer. Working now.
Just got to make it work better on mobile and should be good to go

Thanks S3XY! I'm hoping to get v9 this week and I'll update so anyone can see it.
Will also take a look at what in those 'gear' icons to see if its worth including here.

I took the screenshots from the 'gear' icons. Lots of the major feature settings are hidden in there (one i had never even noticed before).
Should work on it tonight and have it up tomorrow.

Thanks for highlighting this!