Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Night time rear view vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone told me one of my reversing lights is out today...obviously being the driver I’ve not seen them before. Is there supposed to be two reversing lights or are they correct in stating one was out (only had the car a few weeks so pretty shocked if one is)
Lots of cars only have one reversing light. It's because in other markets there is no need for a rear fog light, which occupies the space for the second reverse light in European-spec cars.

Reactions: im85288
Before doing the test drive after last nights software upgrade I had a play with the rear view mirrors again.

tl;dr care on adjustment can make a difference but not convinced that benefits persist over course if a drive.

First off was to disable auto tilt - took a couple of attempts to get this to stick. Even though I had hit save in user profile, it didn’t survive a full system reboot that I always do after a software update. So needed to reapply after the reboot. Now seems to have stuck.

Next was adjusting rear view based on video that I posted. Not ideal conditions as it was quite dark and my driveway slopes off around a corner.

As expected, not a hope in being able to adjust drivers mirror to cover the blind spot. Adjustment on this mirror is awful.

Passenger side is easier to adjust as per video. However on starting drive I was not happy with it. Maybe just not use to not seeing the car and/or mirror pointing down too much - probably a consequence of the driveway curving down. So an adjustment to be made in daylight on the flat.

Reversing off drive I was much happier with. To point I would say that no need for rear view camera. Paid attention to tiny on mirrors and almost certainly they were not tinted.

Cue 8 mile test drive.

On return I felt that I was almost back at square 1. I didn’t try the reverse again, one of our neighbours had been walking their dogs up the middle of our road as I rocked up and I think got started by me. So avoided too much hanging around.

But I am sure that mirrors did not have same rear view visibility- in darkened visibility it looked like they may have been tinted.

So is this a case of once tinted, they stay tinted?

For a car that is *SO* dependent on being Internet-connected, putting the antennae in the rather vulnerable door mirrors seems rather odd to me!

I've had very poor Wi-Fi reception in the car when it's parked at home although I may have discovered why. The door mirrors (I think on Model S in the UK all the antennae are in the driver's door mirror?) are both within 12 feet of our wifi router, which is on the bay window sill at the front of the house.

Our MS only works in the 2.4GHz band and last night I realised that although the channel selection in the router was set to auto the signal strength in 2.4GHz was pretty bad.Last night a quick look at Wi-FI Analyzer (phone/tablet app) showed that the channel the router had set was saturated by my neighbours' Wi-Fi. I reset the channel to a less crowded number and that improved things considerably. I haven't checked the car signal yet and my wife has already taken the car to work.

Surprisingly, hardly anyone else nearby seems to be using 5GHz. Most things in our house are set to use 5GHz and signal strength has always been good, even though 2.4GHz should have better penetration.

I find that the rear camera view at night is generally clear and quite well illuminated ... unless the camera is wet and dirty.

Only when it works...

glad I sorted my mirrors before this happened.

20191130_143134372_iOS - Copy.jpg

I don't care for the inside mirror. It is supposed to darken at night, but I can't see the difference. A friend has that on his Subaru and I couldn't tell the difference there either. It's always darker than a regular mirror, but never dark enough to reduce the headlights at night.