TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Nikola Tesla Pierce Arrow Car.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by elptrek, Dec 18, 2008.

1. elptrek

elptrek New Member

#1 elptrek, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2008
    Electric car without any batteries.

Part 1.

2. elptrek

elptrek New Member

#2 elptrek, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2008

3. roopocket12

roopocket12 Member

#3 roopocket12, Feb 24, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
    Tesla electric vehicles are one of the greatest innovations in the auto industry. While I agree that one of the disadvantage is the need for constant recharge, it does not need to tranmission, fuel pump, change oil. These are advantages that we can benefit from this vehicle. In the future, there will be more users.

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I know the above tale is not worth commenting on. So here goes. ;0

With patent numbers listed and people like JB at Tesla, I have to believe equally that all these "advancements" have been considered and rejects based on practical merits.
    :smile:

5. damn_nice

damn_nice New Member

Ungair to say all technologies have already beeen tried and rejected

It seems that those who say that it has already been tried and it was rejected because it failed, have a very narrow perspective.

just the story of the fight between Tesla and Edison, and if one does further reading you learn that Edison tried to suppress Tesla's A/X technology. Why because he was already invested in DC. It id not matter that AC was better, all that mattered was that profits would be lost.

Another example could be seen in the movie "Tucker" about the Tucker car which had so many innovations. all of them good, that the established auto industry did everything to block the technology and eventually prevented Tucker from entering mass production of his car and almost had him imprisoned. Why because the advances would have jeopardized their profits.

When General motors was forced to produce electric cars for California, everyone loved the cars, but nobody was allowed to buy them. They were lease only vehicles. After much lobbying they got the laws changed and all vehicles at the end of their leases were taken and crushed. The battery technology was sold to Chevron, who has burying the patents and technology to prevent them from being used and to slow down the development of the electric car and keep people dependent on gas and oil. See the documentary "Who Killed The Electric Car". Tesla Motors would probably love access to use that battery technology, bu Chevron won't allow it.

In the 1980's as several computer systems competed for the markets, Compaq had the best system, but IBM had the big bucks, and so we use the inferior technology of the IBM PC system... unless you are a Mac user. Strangely after winning the PC war, IBM could not come up with a viable business plan for providing personal computers and sold off the technology.

When we did the conversion to HDTV, the system we used was not the best system which is used in Europe, but the system that was most cost effective and provided th most profit. The European system provides better signal strength that is not as subtable to weather variations and pixelation. Nos, to get a reliable signal one has to pay a cable or satellite service, who makes a profit providing what used to be free.

Another good movie that demonstrates the concept of profit over progress is "The First Monday In October" about a f(fictional in this case) supreme Court case where stockholders want an advanced technology motor to be marketed, but he company is suppressing it, because they are invested in competing technologies. The story may be fictional but that is how things in the real world, as depicted in the exapmples above actually work.

My point is that the best technology does not always come out ahead and make it to market. It is the whatever makes the most money that will be marketed. They are not always the same thing. This is a flaw of the capitalist system. It values profit over benefits to society at large and this results in better technologies being suppressed.

Money is not the root of all evil. That is a misquote. The actual quote is "The love of money is the root of all evil." I believe the meaning was that to love love money more than your fellow human beings or fellow man, or to the point where your self interest will trump the resultant needless suffering caused by your actions. To seek to do well for yourself is a good thing, but to do so at the expense and suffering of others is simply immoral.

I am appalled by the suppression of the better technologies, where society at lerge is kept back and the standard of living is kept in check so that the rich can keep their power over the average person.

If people love to be deceived, it isn't for believing in the promise of technologies never been brought to market, but it is because they believe that the best product always comes out ahead, and that simply is not true. What invariably comes out ahead is whatever makes the most profit, not the best technology or what is most beneficial to society.

So, for those who are trying to say that Tesla Motors is just pursuing a pipe dream and that there is nothing really there, I'd have to say you are ignorant of the way business is really conducted. Innovators who threaten established systems of profit are suppressed, challenged in scout and for the most part out spent to the point that the innovators are bankrupted and often forced to sell their innovations, often unknowingly, to the very people who caused their downfall in order to pay their legal fees. That is just the way the capitalist system works as now practiced.